Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Viktor Korchnoi
Today we have lost the legend that was Viktor Korchnoi. Perhaps the greatest player I have ever met, and certainly the greatest fighter the game has known. His will to win never diminished, and his mind remained sharp to the end, but his heart and lungs could no longer sustain his massive resolve.

He died in Switzerland, his adopted home, after several years of failing health. In his homeland he was denied the opportunities he deserved. But he deserves to be remembered by all chess-players for his stupendous achievements and his unparalleled fighting spirit.
Today’s Daily Telegraph carries an extensive obituary of the great man.

He gave two simultaneous exhibitions in Hong Kong in the wake of his World Championship match versus Karpov. I lost to him in one and apologised for not resigning sooner … He just signed his autograph with a monosyllabic grunt … A reaction familiar from the public persona that attached to him, but uncharacteristic of the real person - I suspect.

The DT notes that he remained competitive into old age and was “the only septuagenarian in history to remain in the top hundred.”
This may be of interest

- on Twitch.TV - by GM Simon Williams.
I will look at some of my encounters with Victor and his best games/funniest anecdotes @chesscom https://t.co/T8YaWkGHR9 9.30 GMT tonight.