Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domestic touraments survey
Ian

You say the following "why? because there is a growing trend to have more FIDE events which does not make them any more or any less fun. Some players, myself included take them as serious as normal time control events"........FIDE Rated weekend tournaments make it less fun to me.
Despite being Scotland's "Mr Consistent" successful weekend player over the last 20+ years, I do not like Fide Rated weekend events. Players should have a choice before the event to have their games graded or not.
I do not pay lots of money abroad trying to get norms and increase my Fide Rating to just throw them away at weekend events.
Higher rated players at weekend Fide events risk more as their expected score is normally between 4 - 4.5. They have much more to lose than gain. One loss means you won't be able to avoid a rating loss.
I want to play weekend tournaments and have fun after a hard week at work. I don't want the added pressure of having to perform at weekends too.
You have longer to prepare at Fide Rated Internationals. The draw for each round is up well in advance, not 5 minutes before a round where you have no time to remind yourself of theory that could be crucial. You also go into your games more refreshed in an International event.
The Edinburgh congress is a great and strong event. They brought in a fantastic initiative of free entry to titled players as compensation to making it a Fide event. Despite being great I have not played there in so many years.
The Richardson should only be Fide Rated if you know the colour and the opponent you are most likely to play, rather than choice of two colours and a possible 4 opponents.
talk about stirring up a hornets nest....
To answer your question Walter , I created a thread on the forum. I also spoke to players at the national finals, I spoke to players within my contact sphere, over the board, at the SNCL, people I know and trust. I spoke to CS officials, arbiters and friends. Most people who knew me, others who don't know me who knew I was asking the questions. Most people ( an overwhelming majority ) wanted it FIDE rated. I also went into detail with FIDE arbiter about the logistics of it and I've got to say with those detractors, if you don't like it don't play in it, its your choice. This is the original you cant please everybody so a ruling on playing conditions and the rules have to be made and considered at the AGM so it can be in place for the new season
Very pleased to see Steve's post. I have heard these views from high rated / titled players in private before but rarey in public. My impression is domestic organisers maybe don't appreciate these points or maybe just have different priorities. I am sure this at least partly explains why many stronger players prefer to play their chess abroad nowadays. It's a shame. We develop players but the best are a rare bread these days on the domestic chess scene.
Hey Ian, I’m not speaking as a detractor - I greatly appreciate the efforts of chess organizers, many of whom put in a veritable power of work.

It sounds like you are referring to particular tournaments, for example the Richardson and Spens? That had its own thread, I believe. Can’t find it now, but I remember naysayers there too!?

Only you mentioned FIDE rated tournaments in this thread, Ian. From your answers, It sounds like you haven’t asked the question generally of whether tournaments (especially new ones) should be FIDE rated. If you ask a question like “would you like new FIDE rated tournaments” you will get a resounding ‘Yes!’ because people will obviously say yes to new tournaments, it’s like asking people in the street would you like a new Sony TV? Smile

Ian. it sounds like there is more to this FIDE question, and there are clearly implications of FIDE rated - why not do a specific poll to address this question?

Cheers
Speaking as a 1700 rated open player, I could not care a jot from a personal point of view if weekenders were FIDE rated. I know of plenty players at this level and a bit below/above who feel the same. Looking at it from a non personal view and what I think is best for our game, then I feel it would be best to encourage TD's to get rid of FIDE rating weekenders. I really don't see what it is adding to our game. Players can enter the Scottish if they are desperately desiring a FIDE rating or FIDE experience (and also the Spens/Rich).

Considering Steve's well made points, is a real shame to hear that one of the most turned out top players at weekenders is avoiding a rare East of Scotland weekender because of the FIDE aspect. Would surely be better to have these players in a non FIDE rated event, and give juniors and aspiring top players more chance to play our existing top players.

If events are FIDE'd or not is surely not where the focus needs to be right now? Would it perhaps be best to put all efforts and resources into stopping the rot/decline. After all, the trend of disappearing entrants and loss of events supercedes all else. FIDE rating everything in site has proven to have no positive change on our main problem.
WBuchanan Wrote:Ian. it sounds like there is more to this FIDE question, and there are clearly implications of FIDE rated - why not do a specific poll to address this question?

One word - apathy. formal Polls involving woodpushers tend to have a very poor response

There is no point in any further fact finding. We will run this tournament for this year and tweak it for the future if need be.

There is general acceptance that we move move more and more towards FIDE tournaments. The Spens and Richardson are already there.

People will vote with their feet (or their entries) . This is a new tournament. There is no loss for those who do not want to play
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:I really don't see what it is adding to our game. Players can enter the Scottish if they are desperately desiring a FIDE rating or FIDE experience (and also the Spens/Rich).

This is in contrast to the feedback I got back. Players of all levels would like a FIDE grade but most don't have the time or money to go abroad to pick up a FIDE grade. I believe the cornerstone to improve the strength of our game here and to make it more attractive with FIDE ratings etc , but I also accept there is a view by players to protect their grade by not playing lower graded players. Remember that this will be a Fide rapidplay event with a FIDE RAPIDPLAY grading not a FIDE main rating event. Most players wont have a FIDE quickplay grade anyway.

In summary you cant please all the punters all the time
Ian you say

“There is general acceptance that we move move more and more towards FIDE tournaments. The Spens and Richardson are already there.”

Really Ian? That’s a very surprising comment, as there has been NO acceptance here when the FIDE question was raised on its own – in fact, three people have immediately voiced opposition, one referring to other private discussions. And a fourth points out that he wouldn’t be able to play without further investigation – so there is in fact a loss for him. No-one has voiced ‘acceptance’.

I don’t know how you can give ‘apathy’ as a reason when you haven’t consulted on the question (surely apathy is question-specific), and have pointedly ignored the immediate (and very un-apathetic) feedback you have just received.

If you’re hellbent on going down the FIDE route whether CS members like it or not, it would be nice if you would let us all know, rather than assure us of our ''general acceptance' for which there so far seems no evidence :|
Cheers
I would Fide rate everything. The work David Congalton has done with the Scottish Chess Tour is fantastic. It means players do not have to spend lots of money to go abroad to play Fide rated games. In the long run we will see more titled players and this can only be good for Scottish chess. Personally, I will not be able to play many weekenders this year due to work but I have always tried to play in these events and will continue to do so.
I would FIDE rate everything too. Then everyone will just end up at the rating they deserve, and it gives more chance for our developing players to get their ratings up (or down) aiming for selection to events.