Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson Final
Hamish and Neil seem to be having a competition to see who can run out of time first! I don't think the clock on his board is displaying, he has 11 mins left. Hamish has just over 7...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Alan Tate Wrote:Has Hugh just blundered? 15. Nxe6 looks winning.
Now a counter blunder by his opponent. Not sure why Hugh didnt take on f2 but his move also looks good enough.
Alan Bell Wrote:Now a counter blunder by his opponent. Not sure why Hugh didnt take on f2 but his move also looks good enough.

Yep. 17 Bxd7 looks like lights out. There should be a move after 17 ... Qe5 but it's not easy for a human.
The result is going to be brutal now looking at it.
A very interesting and enjoyable match to watch! Smile

Despite the scoreline, BA put up a good struggle - but my feeling is that you can't agree draws so early with 2 decent 'white' positions. It puts too much pressure on the other guys playing against top-notch opposition. There is an argument for 'getting something on the board early' of course.

Anyhoo, thanks to all involved Smile Now all i need is someone from each (traditionally winning) team to offer to write-up a report for the magazine Wink
andyburnett Wrote:openings are not the be-all and end-all of chess.

It would appear that the country agrees with you.
The Irony is, Neil won on time!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:The Irony is, Neil won on time!

Yes, although it wasn't a real win on time. It was a Dr Bob uses up all his time grovelling in a lost position.

I actually predicted that someone would think there was a technical fault on our board - perhaps my only good piece of thinking today. Despite effectively giving me an hour of a start, Neil simply played the position better than I did.

The better team won today and congratulations to them, but we are disappointed not to have made more of a contest of it. Of course, this is still not the worst BA cup final performance ever...
andyburnett Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:Nope, Neil still has not moved!

:O Any idea if there was a draw offer from Doctor Bob?

Nope. That would be an odd thing to do immediately after choosing such a sharp line.
Or, indeed, after travelling all the way from Stonehaven to Grangemouth to play chess.
Robert Lothian Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:Nope, Neil still has not moved!

:O Any idea if there was a draw offer from Doctor Bob?

Nope. That would be an odd thing to do immediately after choosing such a sharp line.
Or, indeed, after travelling all the way from Stonehaven to Grangemouth to play chess.

Agreed! I just thought it was very unusual of Neil to take quite so long in the opening, but he clearly looked very deeply into the position.

Well done to BA on reaching the final and putting up a tough fight, despite the disappointing final result.
Congratulations to Edinburgh - and also Dragons and Civil Service -on their victories