Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question re blitz chess draw by repetition
Ianbrownlee Wrote:1. Any player can pause the clock at any time in any tournament unless there is a local rule (possibly in rules of play) specifically forbidding this

Only to ask the arbiter for rule clarification - but there are consequences. If this is deemed to be frivolous then the claimant is penalised.

Ianbrownlee Wrote:3. Any senior arbiter can appoint anyone as arbiter during a tournament priot (prior) to commencement except FIDE tournaments

Not sure that this is actually covered in the CS rules.

Ianbrownlee Wrote:4. A score sheet is not required during a draw claim as the arbiter is entitled to watch a few moves once the game is recommenced. ( a surprising bit for me was that the position has only to be on the board three times not repeated three times ) A score sheet is required however if a claim is to be made regarding no attempt is being made to win a game

Isn't the claim made on the recurrence of the position for the 3rd time and does it not also have to be "with the same player" to move?

Ianbrownlee Wrote:6. Here's a scenario for you to answer. White player plays an illegal move and either leaves his king in check or puts his king in check ( I did both on Sunday!) Black responds by taking the king . Whats the result ? The answer may surprise you!

Black making a move, means that he has accepted the move by White, therefore White can claim a win based on Black making an illegal move - but only if Black completes the move by pressing the clock! A move is after all, only complete after the clock has been pressed. Strictly speaking White say nothing, let the clock run on and then claim a win on time !!!!

Having said all this - isn't this meant to be about enjoyment and sportsmanship?
Alan Tate Wrote:Black making a move, means that he has accepted the move by White, therefore White can claim a win based on Black making an illegal move - but only if Black completes the move by pressing the clock! A move is after all, only complete after the clock has been pressed. Strictly speaking White say nothing, let the clock run on and then claim a win on time !!!!
well spotted Jim you are or course correct. I've been informed this happened recently in a Scottish tournament

Jim Webster Wrote:Not sure that this is actually covered in the CS rules.

correct again but the arbiter has the right to appoint arbiters (or helpers ) in non rated tournaments before the tournament commences

Jim Webster Wrote:Only to ask the arbiter for rule clarification - but there are consequences. If this is deemed to be frivolous then the claimant is penalised.

not entirely correct , a player can pause a clock also to claim a draw if his opponent does not accept
All these intepretations are subject to the judgement or the arbiter, whose judgement is final. ken's judgement as usual is always sound and is final. I find this discussion interesting and helps me out for the next tournament