Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
height of chess tables at congresses
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Having played in Blackpool at the weekend I can't say I found the table height to be a problem. And it would appear they were fine for the vast majority of the other players as well (even the juniors). It would seem disproportionate and unworkable to expect tournament organisers to ensure all their tables are 74cm high; running events is already expensive and tricky enough without added silliness like that. Do we even know for sure that the tables at Blackpool weren't 74cm high?

Maybe you should make space for a cushion in your luggage Donald?
I think that I must correct a wrong impression. I am not complaining about Blackpool or any other congress. All events need to work with what they are given. Your suggestion of a cushion is a good one, and I thank you for it: if only I could make space for it but I really have no more room. When travelling by train I find it best to use the overhead luggage rack but it is not very big so only small luggage is possible. I do need to make sure that I will be allowed to stand if this is the only way I can see the board properly - without gamesmanship by my opponents. On that score too I have no complaints about Blackpool. If I have any complaints it would be about the behaviour of my opponent in a league match in Edinburgh at Pentland Hills Chess club - even this might not have been deliberate. Also I expect (but it might not be the case) that everyone who is happy with the height of the tables is taller than me (I am 5' 7"). What I really looking for are real practical suggestions to deal with the problem. I only mentioned the FIDE standard to show that it is not unreasonable to have a problem with a height out of line with the standard.
Good sense is of all things in the world the most equally distributed, for everybody thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that even those most difficult to please do not commonly desire more of it than they already possess. Descartes
Perhaps you could try one of these Donald:

Inflatable Travel Cushion
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Perhaps you could try one of these Donald:

Inflatable Travel Cushion
Thanks. Might be worth trying - 'though it seems to be intended as a pillow rather than a cushion and some reviewers had problems with it. Certainly cheap enough. Please keep the ideas coming.
Good sense is of all things in the world the most equally distributed, for everybody thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that even those most difficult to please do not commonly desire more of it than they already possess. Descartes
Reminds me of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eov64C8KzrY

Seriously, I suffered from a back injury when I first returned to chess, so I can sympathise with Donald to some degree, as I had to carry a cushion and back rest thing to tournaments. Fortunately, I drive so didn't have the luggage space issue.

I don't think there are any rules about having to sit at the board and I'm sure Tony Miles once played lying down.

I think most tournament organisers would be happy to try and find a solution where a player has an issue. After all, we want to see as many players as possible taking part.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
At Irvine this weekend there were 4 different types of tables used. The 2 most common tables measured 74cm and 71cm in height. 3cm does not sound a lot, but having played on both I found it made a big difference, the 71cm table had a direct effect on posture positions and was less comfortable than the 74cm. That said, all things in perspective I would never complain about a 71cm table being to short.

Have always found things like poor lighting or background noise to be more of a problem. Interestingly a particular player was wearing ear defenders this weekend.
Don't worry about height of chairs.
Does anyone remember the second year I had SNCL. I couldn't find a reasonably priced venue so we did it my Primary school (where I taught not was taught)
Nevermind the height, some of you bigger guys had to sit across two chairs .

Ah those were the days -- fond memories are made of those sights!!!

GG