Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess on TV Benidorm
Phil Thomas Wrote:Keep talking about Hamilton chaps. Smile

All these postings reminded me of Hamiltonian operators.

Lifting a few words over from Wikipedia -

the result is that the Hamiltonian of the system is the sum of the separate Hamiltonians for each particle. This is an idealized situation - in practice the particles are usually always influenced by some potential, and there are many-body interactions. One illustrative example of a two-body interaction where this form would not apply is for electrostatic potentials due to charged particles, because they interact with each other by Coulomb interaction (electrostatic force), as shown below.

All very confusing at first reading.

Simplest interpretation of which is that the probability of an electron being at any location in the universe is never quite zero.

A concept that eventually lead Adams to develop the concept of the infinite improbability drive.

Have to stop writing now.

There is an an infinite number of monkeys at my office door - they want to discuss their latest script for Hamlet
Wink
i am surprised nobody's mentioned lady Hamilton and Nelson, or the Duke of Hamilton ( plenty of oppertunity to mention Hess and other Nazis here ) Seriously guys what's the link from this thread linking Hamilton Chess Club. The initial comment was about a chess set up improperly on a TV program where both players knew sod all about chess (part of the joke). I got pelters from the wife when I pointed out the set wasnt set up correctly. I know this thread is good banter so as such it remains on the forum

BTW according to the program the horsey never got to eat the prawns Wink Wink Wink
Ian I can't see a plausible link between lady Hamilton and chess. Hess though famously landed on Eaglesham which is just a few miles away from the current venue of Hamilton chess club (new members always welcome see web site for details) Hess's motives were never fully elucidated. Perhaps Nelson in his spare time wrote multitudinous chess items for a Newspaper. After all he is the best known early 19th century columnist.
Phil Thomas Wrote:Ian I can't see a plausible link between lady Hamilton and chess.

A simple google search "Lady Hamilton Chess" gives 161,000 results. I haven't gone through them to check on the relevance of the google links but there must be something better than "A Leatherette Chess Board with resin chess pieces depicting Napoleon Admiral Nelson, Lady Hamilton and the English Army." amongst the 161,000.

Having visited Hamilton Chess Club last night I can reveal it is not in Hamilton. Perhaps we can discuss Bothwell. I am particularly intrigued by the Community Scarecrow Festival. Smile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
I don't think Lewis Hamilton plays chess, but there are, of course, the famous Lewis Chessmen.

Back, vaguely on topic, isn't a "chess board" with a black square at the bottom right a draughts board?
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Alan Jelfs Wrote:I don't think Lewis Hamilton plays chess, but there are, of course, the famous Lewis Chessmen.

Back, vaguely on topic, isn't a "chess board" with a black square at the bottom right a draughts board?

That's right draughts uses the board orientated the other way to chess with black on the right or is is white on the left. Anyway the main thing is 2 white and two black squares in the centre

Were the Lewis chessmen ever used to play chess though ?
Could the Lewis Chessmen be used to play draughts?
No reason why all 12 draughts men should be identical you just need 4 categories.
I googled "Lewis Draughts" and second pick was
John Lewis who are advertising a board for use with either chess or draughts.

Photograph had to be wrong for at least one of those games.
And it was wrong for draughts, and was right for chess.