Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNCL Rules
The SNCL team tournament is, for me, one of the highlights of the season. Many of Scotland’s best players appear, and with 8-team divisions with two promoted and relegated each season, most are involved in significant games right up to the last round. Exciting stuff.

It is, however, marred by Rule 7, which requires clubs with more than one team to play its members in order of grading across all its teams taken together. This means that a ‘B’ team (or, for that matter, ‘C’ team) is forced to become no more than a reserve pool for the team above it, and has no identity of its own. This is not very encouraging for its players, and especially its captain who may work conscientiously to complete his five, only to have his best player snatched by rule because someone pulled out of a higher team at the last minute. The top team captain, of course, has no worries; he knows he has a replacement handy should one of his team not show up, and can blame it on the rule book.

It gets worse. Coupled with Rule 9, the lower team captain, through no fault of his own, could find himself suddenly flagged with a ‘no-show’ penalty that should have gone to the ‘A’ team. Under Rule 9, if this happens three times he loses a precious league point.

There’s more. Suppose the ‘B’ team is a ‘nursery’ team for young players to give them experience, and I’ve seen some of those at the event, with an adult and four young juniors. If the ‘A’ team fails to provide a full team, the ‘B’ team’s highest ranked player, quite probably the adult, is grabbed for ‘A’ team duty. What is he supposed to do? Play for the ‘A’ team while looking after the ‘B’ team, or hand captaincy to one of the inexperienced, and by this time possibly disheartened, juniors? Because Rule 7 is unequivocal on this; he must not move his strongest junior up so that he can look after the rest.

Rule 7 is thoroughly unjust, and should be changed. It is also slightly ambiguous with the use of ‘must’ in the first sentence making the raid on the lower team compulsory, while the presence of ‘can’ in the second hints that it could be optional. This needs clarified. However, I cannot see why, as in other leagues, each team cannot have its own pool, and thus its own identity, with the responsibility for completing his five on tournament day resting with each respective captain.

Jim Robertson

East Kilbride
There's a simple solution - call your C team something else. No moving about of players between teams. Teams just happen to come from same club. Might require asking Glynis nicely to be allowed to rebrand a team without having to re-enter in division 5.
Nice try, but it wouldn't work. Rule 7 says quite specifically "Clubs having more than one team...". It would be necessary to register as a new club with all the associated complications, upon which starting at the bottom would not be an option, even cap-in-hand negotiated.
Hi Jim
Are you aware you have put this topic in the forum which allows non forum members to contribute. I only ask because you are new to the forum and may not realise that there is a forum for members and given the conversation we both had a Stepps a few weeks ago.
I understand your position and what you are saying. I feel that the rules are there because the tournament runs over several months and is therefore difficult to maintain a pool of players over that period of time, therefore some dispensation should be put in place a allow players to service a club rather than a team. THEREFORE players are club tied rather than team tied and also prevents strong players proping up a weaker team in order to to gain promotion or or take out rival teams who are looking for promotion. However as I've already said Jim I see your point
Hi Jim,

It was decided at an AGM to change to Rule 7 etc because teams were upset that players could only be promoted twice to a higher team. If they were picked a third time then they had to stay in the higher team.
As far as defaulting boards is concerned, I agree with you. If team A can't put out a full team then they should be penalised not the lower teams. Let's check this rule at the AGM and see if we can improve the wording. It was never meant that the lower teams should be second class citizens to the top team.
Please definitely see me on Sunday about this matter.

GG
Checked with Andy but forgot to tell you!!!

Team A can default board/s and leave the players in team B if they wish (especially useful if team B are in the running for promotion)

GG