Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Seniors 2015 Italy 10-22 Nov
Not sure I understand what's happening in Roddy's game (move 12). Bit more at home in Craig's (move 15). Not clear to me what was behind black's idea to delay ...f4 but he seems a tempo or two down now. His queenside (b7 particularly ) and the b3-g8 diagonal should be under pressure shortly I guess.
In Mackay-Arkell. Keith as usual is prepared to accept a slight positional disadvantage for safety and will no doubt head for an ending if he gets the chance. Roddy doing OK so far (move 11).

Craig has a clear positional advantage in his game after 15 moves, with his opponent wasting too much time in a Kings Indian where you can't afford to do that. I expect Craig to punish him soon.
I really like Roddy's position now (move 15). My dogue de bordeaux has just told me however it's time for his walk so hopefully come back to good news.
Roddy thinking a bit now (Move 17). He has several good ways to continue so this could be an upset.

Craig also doing very well - his opponent has moved his King's Knight 7 times in 21 moves!
Now move 19 - typically Roddy has mixed it up a bit with an exchange sac and now it's Arkell's time to think. He's under a lot of pressure and time is going to be a factor in this game no doubt. Should be exciting to watch.
Yes, that exchange sac looks like a good strategy by Roddy. Keith's position is very disjointed, not castled, an undeveloped knight, a rook at a7, the other stuck on h8 for now and weak squares all over the centre.
Wow! A second (and correct) exchange sac from Roddy and now at Move 23 Arkell is in big trouble (and short of time). This is Roddy back to his swashbuckling best!
Unfortunately Keith is probably going to get out with a lucky draw. That wold still be a good result for Roddy but he could have won it. Houdini gives 24.Ne6+!! first and only then Qe5 when he has time to round up the f-pawn and then bring the bishop into the attack before Black can run away to safety. Very hard to see that without computer analysis.

Edit - hold the front page! With less than a minute left Keith has erred with Kd6 and now Qf8+ is wnning again!
Move 31 - its mate in 3!! I expect that will be easy for Roddy who is one of the British Chess Problem-solving team. Well played!

And Keith resigns. Great Result!
Fantastic game and result!