Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Master and Scottish Candidate Master
These titles were set up in 1971, anyone know when they fell out of use and was it by falling into disuse and forgetting about them or was it formally done?
The recording of Scottish Masters died out in the early 1990s through a complete lack of interest rather than any formal abandonment. At the time the players who would be qualifying for such titles had bigger ambitions like FM titles and IM norms.
Interesting Dougie, though FM titles and IM norms would not have been sufficient to get a Scottish Masters awarded.

That required an IM title. The other conditions were 3 wins of the Scottish or a grade of over 220, in old money, maintained over 3 years, subject to conditions.

Would it perhaps be more a lack of players meeting the conditions?

Perhaps it could be revived for Juniors achieving certain standards at FIDE rated events.
Interesting.
I can appreciate why (as with CM) players often want to aim for the higher honours, but having been giving some thought recently to youth development and recognition it strikes that perhaps there is some scope for this sort of thing. I have to admit I am completely ignorant of any of the details around this, but would be happy to know more if anyone wants to email me further context and detail.
The requirements were last updated and published in the 1989 g-list (see below). List of master holders last published in 92 list.

Scottish Master

Requirement for title:

1) Become a GM or IM, or

2) Win the British Championship outright, or

3) Winning the Scottish Championship outright 3 times, or

4) Obtaining 3 norms within 6 years.

SCM norms may be obtained by:

a) becoming a FIDE master (2 norms)
b) having a published Scottish grade (based on at least 20 results in the season) of at least 2400 (2 norms).
c) winning the Scottish Championship outright (1 norm)
d) joint win of the British (1 norm)
e) Published Scottish grade (based on at least 20 results in the season) of at least 2300 (1 norm).
f) TPR (9 or more rounds) evaluated at 2400 or more (1 norm). Same results cannot qualify twice unger grading and TPR.

There were also woman master requirements - same as above with the norm rules modified

b) having a Scottish grade (based on at least 20 results in the season) of at least 2150 (2 norms).
e) Published Scottish grade (based on at least 20 results in the season) of at least 2050 (1 norm).
f) TPR (9 or more rounds) evaluated at 2150 or more (1 norm). Same results cannot qualify twice under grading and TPR.