Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS membership renewal date
Should CS have one renewal date a year for membership? Surely this would greatly decrease the workload longer term of the Membership Secretary. Of course this would mean extra work initially to align everyone's payment to one date in the calender but there are clear benefits.
There would be no disputes about who is eligible to vote at AGM's. It's highly likely that CS membership income would increase. It would save the Membership secretary from writing out renewal notices and confirmations on a daily basis.
I would also suggest that as part of annual renewal each member is given a password to access and post on the CS noticeboard.
I have thought about this before, what do you do with someone who decided to join midway through the year?

There are benefits and pitfalls with doing it this way!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
robin moore Wrote:There would be no disputes about who is eligible to vote at AGM's. It's highly likely that CS membership income would increase. It would save the Membership secretary from writing out renewal notices and confirmations on a daily basis.
I would also suggest that as part of annual renewal each member is given a password to access and post on the CS noticeboard.
There is no dispute. The rules are quite clear on who can vote and who cant. I think it is essential for the membership secretary to send out reminders ( sorry Karen) as it shown in practice that if reminders aren't sent out then memberships are more liable to lapse. I would also applaud the procedures employed at this years AGM to ensure only CS members could vote. There is no issue here. Andy H is also right to point out the administrative nightmare of midseason memberships
Your last point is totally impractical. However I am beginning to believe that there should be three levels at the forum, namely
1. A public forum, where items are posted for public consumption
2. A CS forum members forum where CS members and non CS members can post
3. A CS members section, where only CS members can access
I also dont see how CS membership income would increase. Lack of membership is due to general apathy and lack of CS forum membershiip is primarily down the personal abuse frequently dished out by people who should know better. Thankfully Andy H and myself are determined to stamp personal abuse out so hopefully that will change in the near future.
Chess Scotland and Chess forum membership is a privilege and not a right to have personal attacks
Andy,

Let's just say the CS membership renewal date was 1st May. If someone wished to join CS, they would pay a proportion of the full fee ie the remaining period up till 1st May.
If they joined on the 1st December, they would pay half, 1st February a quarter. Effectively they would pay for any full month of membership leading up to 1st May in their first year. At the 1st of May, they would pay for the full year ahead.

Ian,

There have been disputes in the past about voting eligibility. I am suggesting a simpler system, which would seem to be easier to administer.
CS membership income may increase because everyone will pay (hopefully promptly) at the same time, not in dribs and drabs throughout the year. That seems financially beneficial.
You highlight Karen having to constantly send out renewal notices on a probably daily basis and seem keen to continue this process. Why? If we adopt a renewal process as I have suggested, one general email per year will suffice.
Why do you feel it would be totally impractical to prompt every member at renewal to add a password for the CS noticeboard if they do not have one already?
It's not that long since we had the change to introduce rolling membership to allow people to join at any time. I cant see the advantages claimed by Robin.
Quote:Why do you feel it would be totally impractical to prompt every member at renewal to add a password for the CS noticeboard if they do not have one already?

because forum membership membership is a choice which unfortunately at the moment is only taken up by a small percentage of the CS membership. also in order to change or activate a password would require a lot of work by the moderators especially if it done at the same time for all members. I can tell you however there is a plan in place to hopefully improve the situation which will go before the next council meeting

robin moore Wrote:There have been disputes in the past about voting eligibility. I am suggesting a simpler system, which would seem to be easier to administer.
I hear what you're saying Robin but i genuinely think these issues have been addressed by the procedures put in place both with attendance voting and with the proxy voting procedure. I also acknowledge there have been mistakes previously and we have all learned from them.
robin moore Wrote:It's highly likely that CS membership income would increase.

How, if people are paying less? If I join just before the Scottish Championships, do I pay two months membership and then wait until the following year?

I think the current method is more flexible for members, who can join for a year at any time and the basic membership is not that expensive.

I appreciate any ideas to generate more income that we can reinvest in Scottish Chess at all levels but sorry Robin this one gets the thumbs down from me. :-bd . I said thumbs down, Mr Smiley! Good grief.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->