Home Director (Junior)
No Candidate
International Director (Open)
No Candidate
International Director (Junior)
No Candidate
Schools Development Director
No Candidate

I seem to remember in previous years there also being a job description published for the posts, and unless I'm missing something, I can't find that this year. Might be worth putting this up in advance of the AGM so people can see if they would be able to take on the role?

I am wondering how the structure as proposed in the new constitution with its various boards, executives and sub-committees is going to operate on basis of above? :-?
Thanks, Ian, Harry, Linda,

We will certainly need volunteers and an extended network that encompasses parents. It's very important, though, that people realise this is a seriously non-trivial ambition - a glance over the last few years results and the difference in average grading of the national teams will show that easily enough. That said, it's a bit like the game itself: coordinating our efforts within a coherent strategy and plan can make 2+2 =5 (or, hopefully - in this case - about 7).

Almost everyone who has taken the time to consider this has been notably engaged and excited by the idea - because it can't not be fun Smile
George,
Are you going to volunteer for a post??
PeterReidSmith Wrote:Our "manifesto" is pretty simple with 3 key priorities:
1) Establish a simple, transparent, visible and objective selection mechanism
2) Build a coordinated Junior Development Programme to materially improve strength
3) Target Glorney 2017 explicitly - an ambitious, but exciting and we hope inspiring goal ; go to win.

Hi Peter, Mark, Alex

Good to see some goals! I was wondering if you could expand on the second point. What would the Programme consist of, and how would it tie in with what is already in place?

Also I am interested in the strategy for Primary and
Secondary Schools. I realise that there is currently no director for this role, but it is a crucial part of the picture.

I appreciate that things are going to be hectic with events to organise etc, and having only just come into the roles, so I'm not looking for an immediate answer!

Clément
Hi,
The honest answer would be that I don't know yet - if we can get "alignment" on the goals in the short term I'll be happy.

The schools point is a good one and I agree we really could do with that role being filled...anyone out there with latent enthusiasm for the post please make themselves known!

Chess Improvement is a genuinely fascinating topic - lots of research out there. In most endeavours it's ultimately a function of time (the 10,000hr rule), but there are some pursuits that don't play entirely by the rules and chess is one of them. On the bright side, however, Scotland is not Russia - we're starting from a lower base and I am personally quite convinced that very material progress is possible en mass - and that it can be done efficiently and effectively. We have much to learn in chess from sport coaching and psychology for example, while simple insights on accelerated learning from people like Buzan can have very practical and simple application (re "Use your head" and the use of appropriate gaps between "revision").

For now, there is a fair bit of dialogue going on behind the scenes as we collect and compare our thoughts ; Mark is uber busy with World ; Alex and David have pretty much arranged all the logistics around the Liverpool and the wider management team are meeting next week to start formulating and coordinating ideas and priorities. So, early days and small steps as we find our feet.