Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidates for President
StevieHilton Wrote:Having read briefly the manifestos both candidates for the post of President, I notice one significant word missing that is reconciliation.
I believed when I stood for the Presidency in 2013 that reconciliation was necessary in order for the organisation to move forward.
Sadly since then I have seen precious little of that in the 2 years since I stood

How is you standing against a serving President an act of reconciliation? Lets be honest it was a direct challenge!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy,
Are you saying that a sitting President cannot be challenged during his/her term of office?

I was asked to stand because people were dissatisfied with the incumbent. That is called democracy Andrew.
My standing actually strengthened the Presidency by having an actual election.
I will continue to speak out if I feel that things are not going right for the association.
Reconciliation Andy is going to have to take place if chess in Scotland is to go forward
So by your own argument, is it not democracy when people go out to canvas votes for their preferred candidate?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I have never denied anyone the right to canvass for the candidate of their choice Andy,
Equally when officials of CS have access to the membership lists, they should have sent out on behalf of all candidates who are standing for a position not just one.
Jim Webster Wrote:I am posting here a statement regarding the forthcoming President Vote at the AGM, to complement the manifesto posted by Ian.

I will be more than happy to discuss this position at the AGM, which I believe is the appropriate arena for this type of discussion.

Surely it is beneficial for the presidential candidates to make a comment on the forum? This allows Chess Scotland members who cannot attend the AGM to have information to use when deciding how to cast their vote.
StevieHilton Wrote:I have never denied anyone the right to canvass for the candidate of their choice Andy,
Equally when officials of CS have access to the membership lists, they should have sent out on behalf of all candidates who are standing for a position not just one.

No one has been sent anything through the membership list. I just asked the Mem Sec
Dick Heathwood Wrote:Let’s not fall into the trap of being too dismissive of proxy votes.

Patrick McGovern Wrote:Derek does have a point;

a few years ago an individual made dubious use of lists to solicit proxy votes in his favour. not only was the email to me unwelcome it may have breach data protection act.

I wasn't being dismissive of proxy votes (when used). I was criticising what Pat is highlighting, that people email around their contact list, trying to put pressure on their contacts to give them their proxy, which I have heard is going on again.
Thanks to Ian and Jim for posting their policies. Both sound promising and hopefully whoever is elected will work hard to follow through on achieving their manifesto.