Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nigel Short lectures in Edinburgh
Paul,
£150 might be reasonable for some who can afford such a fee, but for someone who might have benefited from these lectures and is on a limited income £150 is a lot to ask for.

I do live in the real world Paul, and to me the amount asked for this lecture did not seem to me like value for money. I have no doubt that the lectures were good, but value for money No. For 1 to 1 coaching that is a different matter all together

This event would have been priced out of a majority of players affordability.
StevieHilton Wrote:Paul,
£150 might be reasonable for some who can afford such a fee, but for someone who might have benefited from these lectures and is on a limited income £150 is a lot to ask for.

I do live in the real world Paul, and to me the amount asked for this lecture did not seem to me like value for money. I have no doubt that the lectures were good, but value for money No. For 1 to 1 coaching that is a different matter all together

This event would have been priced out of a majority of players affordability.

Fair enough Steve, but that is a rather different stance from your original statement isn't it? You made the blanket statement the £150 fee was excessive. If Quality Chess were making a decent profit from this venture perhaps you could argue that, but that simply won't be the case.

Did you make the effort to contact Quality Chess and see if there was a discount available for those on a limited income? Did you make the effort to contact Quality Chess and ask to just attend 1 or 2 days? Maybe you did - I don't know you have not said. You did make the effort and found the time to come on the CS noticeboard and have a grumble.

And how on earth can you possibly know that the event was "priced out of a majority of players affordability." What... did you conduct a survey? A telephone poll? Nobody has that data and pretending to have that knowledge is complete nonsense.

Perhaps if you had added more words to you original statement I wouldn't be so wound up. Readers of the noticeboard aren't mind readers.
George Neave Wrote:Well, this has been and gone now and, honestly, this was the most enjoyable and instructive 15 hours I have ever spent looking at a chess board. Absolutely top rate. Congratulations to Jacob and Quality Chess for making it happen. Thank you to Edinburgh Chess Club for hosting and, of course, a big thanks to Nigel Short for allowing us access to his fascinating insights from the very top end of the chess world over the past 40 years. Absolutely tremendous!

Great to hear this went really well George.

Hopefully this is the start of more of the same to give chess players of all levels that wee extra boost and less of the nothing that was organised in the past. So well done to all in not only those who helped organize it, but also those people attending it.

I am sorry to have missed it being so time poor myself at the moment, but I would welcome and encourage more of the same to be done in the future.

Looking forward to our own club coaching nights over the coming months.
John Watkins
A picture with Nigel Short and me and my poster!

Plus the trap Motylev set v Giri in the world cup.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/the-planet-greenpawn/greenpawn-meets-nigel-short-and-the-motylev-trap.269">http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/th ... v-trap.269</a><!-- m -->