Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM proposals
Hi Derek

I didn’t look elsewhere, just thought off the top of my head.

You wrote:

Quote:v CS related matters should be for members only but other than that, I don't see why the other areas can't be public, and it should help generate more publicity for tournaments and chess in general if it's open to all.

Broad brush …, but thematically I’d be inclined to endorse your approach. But others may not agree. I don’t know … We’re still collecting ideas: too early to be dogmatic.

George
George Murphy Wrote:I didn’t look elsewhere, just thought off the top of my head.

It was a while ago. You'd never have found it. I just quoted it rather than recreating the wheel. Smile

George Murphy Wrote:You wrote:

Quote:v CS related matters should be for members only but other than that, I don't see why the other areas can't be public, and it should help generate more publicity for tournaments and chess in general if it's open to all.

Broad brush …, but thematically I’d be inclined to endorse your approach. But others may not agree. I don’t know … We’re still collecting ideas: too early to be dogmatic.

George

Agreed, George. Look forward to hearing the thoughts of others.
I don't have strong views on this, but if the prevailing wind is to lock areas down to members only, I'd just add that in the case of a junior member, it should also be available to a junior member's parent/guardian.

Martin
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
Hi All. Two AGM proposals on eligibility and the ‘grandparent rule’ below.

The purpose is to meet three aims:

1) CS members should have a final (and genuine) say on the grandparent rule, offered in the second proposal.
2) Basic principles set by members should be established before control is given away.
3) Giving remaining flexibility to CS management and selectors, while respecting the views of members.

Cheers
BTW - needs a seconder, deadline is 6.0 Sat ... Smile

1) AGM Proposal on eligibility:

To be eligible to compete for any Scottish individual national championship title, or to be eligible to represent Scotland in any international competition a person must be a member of Chess Scotland and must meet at least one of the prevailing eligibility requirements relating to

(i) birth - i.e. be born in Scotland,
(ii) bloodline - parent born in Scotland (or grandparent if so determined by a vote of CS members), or
(iii) residence - i.e. have lived in Scotland for the requisite number of years [currently 2].

These primary requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s Operating Procedures which shall also allocate FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes on this basis in future. The Operating Procedures shall also deal with further parameters of these criteria, and other issues that may arise (such as a shorter residency requirements for juniors, any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland, players relinquishing their SCO code etc).

For international selection, additional criteria may be set by the tournament organisers concerned (including age and rating limits).

2) AGM Proposal on the grandparent rule:

The ‘bloodline’ requirement in the eligibility criteria shall be changed from ‘parent born in Scotland’ to ‘grandparent born in Scotland’.
Hi Walter,

Regarding point 1, it is possible to be a member of Chess Scotland, but not have an SCO FIDE registration. This means that someone could win the national title but not be SCO (unless I'm missing/misunderstanding something?)

Using Jacob Aagaard as an example (as we like to do) he is a life member of CS, and although DEN registered, he has lived in Scotland for more than 2 years.

So there ought to be a requirement for SCO registration in the proposal somewhere relating to national championship titles (eligibility for representing Scotland internationally obviously requires SCO affiliation through FIDE already).

Also, if Jacob decided he wanted to represent SCO again (and CS said 'yes' and Denmark decided they didn't want a 'transfer fee' - both perfectly feasible) then there doesn't seem to be anything preventing him from immediately being chosen for the Scottish team? This wouldn't sit well with a number of players, and might require some debate and decisions before any voting takes place on your proposal.

As for point 2, is there any particular reason for wanting 'grandparent' rather than 'parent' as the qualifying criteria? I imagine this is the norm for other countries/other sports -just wondering if there were other reasons?!
Regarding being SCO to win the Scottish.

How does the following hypothetical situation seem to those who want only SCO to be eligible for the title?

A non-SCO Scottish resident wins the British and thereby becomes British Champion. How would Scottish players react? Would it be a case of "Yes a Scot has won the British title" or would it be "Another British title goes abroad"? I would hate to think we would be hypocritical enough to claim the first :ymdevil:
WBuchanan Wrote:1) AGM Proposal on eligibility:

To be eligible to compete for any Scottish individual national championship title, or to be eligible to represent Scotland in any international competition a person must be a member of Chess Scotland and must meet at least one of the prevailing eligibility requirements relating to

The wording of this should be changed to ensure that junior national championships are excluded. The Primary Individual and Girls Championship could be described as "Scottish individual national championships" but there is currently no requirement to be a member of CS to compete and putting this stipulation in place would exclude many kids from competing.
WBuchanan Wrote:These primary requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s Operating Procedures which shall also allocate FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes on this basis in future. The Operating Procedures shall also deal with further parameters of these criteria, and other issues that may arise (such as a shorter residency requirements for juniors, any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland, players relinquishing their SCO code etc).

Currently Chess Scotland do not have Operating Procedures, are you trying to place constraints on the development of any potentially future rules/regulations?

The allocation of the 'SCO' is not under the control of the eligibility rules for of Scottish Championship criteria as far as I am aware. Is this motion therefore trying to do two different things?
- determine requirements for Scottish Championship eligibility.
- determine criteria for the allocation of the FIDE 'SCO" registration.

I personally don't have a problem with the intent of the proposal but do oppose the paragraph quoted above since it is applying constraints to something that may or may not happen in the future. In any case Operating Procedures, as currently envisaged, would need the approval of a General Meeting any vote at that would simply overwrite this stipulation (as with any AGM/SGM motion, a rule in the past can be repealed at a future date by another AGM/SGM motion).
When is the agenda, reports and motions going to be published?
With just over 3 weeks to go before the meeting, the fact that these are still not available is not good enough.
We're giving very little time for discussion and proposed amendments
Steve

All the dates for the information you require are in the calling notice on the front page of website.

Motions and proposals close at 18:00 on Saturday and all information is to be published by Saturday 15th.

I don't think that this timescale is any different from previous years