Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British junior Championships
Thanks for the info, in particular the article was helpful in understanding the background.
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
Hi,
In my normal style, I could not help nudging Kevin Staveley about this - nice guy and yet his response left me somewhere between depressed and infuriated. It seems he relies on 'local' members or associations to come up with suggestions for venues (with the implicit assumption being that "venue" means a specific place). Perhaps our (little, local) association could come up with some suggestions for him please?

SC Board could perhaps pick this up now directly with him for 2017/2018 ?

For heavens sake we surely have a right to have the British occasionally (say once every 5 years?) held in Scotland and not just if/when some random suggestions might happen to be made about a venue...!!!!

Funny old game chess...funny old game.
Peter,

With the exception of one year where there was a guarantee to underwrite the event if necessary, one of the main conditions of staging the British is to provide a free venue.

If anyone wants to try to source such a thing I can certainly advise if it would be suitable. Assuming 300 players at any one time you are looking for a floor space of 750sqm. You are also looking for plenty of breakout rooms (office, game entry, commentary, some junior events, analysis, evening events - though some can be combined).
So neither the British nor the Scottish Chess associations can be bothered to try?

Really?
The last two I've attended were national universities - is it beyond reason that one of ours might feel they could (or even should) help? Have any been approached in the last few years? Or the Scottish Parliament?

The Glorney (for example) seems to (quite naturally) move between nations - I simply don't understand the rational of a British event that doesn't even attempt to do so, nor of national associations that don't push the case.
Or maybe we have set our sights a bit higher than the British
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"