Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Champions 2015
Yes, you are right George - he would then have been joint Scottish Champion and Seniors Champion, but it would not have changed the confusion about Seniors Champion(s).
Alex's post last page

"The highest finishing player over 50 will be awarded the title of “Scottish Senior Champion”.

Subsequently the title of Senior 65 or Senior 50 will be awarded to the highest appropriate person who is not Scottish Senior Champion."

What's the point of the last six words, if not simply to exclude the person who complained that he had won the over 50 prize this year.
No Walter.

It is to show that the main Senior Title is "Scottish Senior Champion". There will be another title awarded each year which will be either Senior 65 or Senior 50.

The statement made has been agreed with Craig and satisfies the benefactors wish that two senior prizes be awarded.
Website updated.

To answer Walters question, Going forwards we will have a Senior Champion and either an Over 50 or Over 65. The second prize will be determined from the age of the person who wins the first.

One of the issues I considered when I first read Craig's complaint was in allowing Over 65s the Over 50 title, we are bizarrely discriminating against people aged 50-64 so any solution that we came up with had to address this as well.

Glad to say we have a resolution and can move on and celebrate what appears to have been a successful tournament. Thanks Craig for being so understanding while we were sorting this out. I hope Craig does not mind me revealing this but given some of the criticism I have seen of him posted, I feel it is correct to. Craig in his complaint to us insisted that both Colin and Roddy be allowed to keep the prize money, he had no interest in claiming the prize money for the Over 50 award. I hope this addresses the comments I have seen on this.

I am going to take this evening off to spend some time with my Family, I have been working late most nights helping Alex with the admin side and I have a little boy who is desperate to play the new skylanders he got for his birthday with me. Depending on how tired I am tomorrow, I may take tomorrow evening off. If you have mailled me about anything and I have not replied, you will get a reply on Weds. Please get any corrections to grading into me and I will compile and resend to Dougie on Weds (we have arranged this) I need some time out after the last 9 days Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Problem with the solution agreed is that it means that Craig could not this year or going forward be able to ever get his name on the over 50 trophy - that does not seem fair? It could also be unintentionally age discriminatory.

By all means award the senior title the way you suggest but perhaps you need a player option on entry going forward of playing for the over 50 or over 65 trophy.
I’m glad a solution has been found that satisfies Craig in the circumstances. It still seems hasty to restructure the future tournament though, in order to ‘remove’ one error that was made but bricking in another anomaly.

Can the Senior 50 be called a ‘title’, if it’s not awarded to the highest player who was eligible? Maybe if they are just called the Senior 50 and the Senior 65 prizes…!?

Andy, it’s not bizarre discrimination to recognize that 65 is also higher than 50.

Now that the situation has been resolved for this year, why not revert to what was presumably intended - an overall senior prize for all 50+, and a 65+ prize - so that there is not a consolation prize for aged 50-64 when the Seniors winner is older.
Terrific last game by Neil Berry, looked like a strategic masterpiece.

Does anyone know, what rating Neil will have gone up to? Just wondering how close he is to the magic 2400
WBuchanan Wrote:Terrific last game by Neil Berry, looked like a strategic masterpiece.

Does anyone know, what rating Neil will have gone up to? Just wondering how close he is to the magic 2400

It looks to me as though Neil ought to gain 49 points, taking his FIDE rating to 2355
Craig P should be awarded Senior50 + Senior65 championship titles.
Roddy won 2 titles in Helensburgh.
Keti has won ladies and overall, I think.
Ken Stewart should call the Richardson arbiters' committee or Standards Committee for a rethink.
Hmm if I can quote this
Quote:The statement made has been agreed with Craig and satisfies the benefactors wish that two senior prizes be awarded.
and 5 from the Arbiters Committee were involved with the Scottish...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"