Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New constitution
amuir Wrote:I cant make midweek morning meetings. Why not have a vote at AGM instead ? Discriminates against those working.

Totally agree. It's dreadful that they are trying to limit the number of people being able to attend and debate this by making it when most working people can't make it.
amuir Wrote:I dont like the new constitution.
Can I vote against it without being present at the meeting ?
On quick reading three points spring to mind already.

1. Grandparent rule. I don't think people should be eligible to play for Scotland if only connection is grandparent.
2. Two year rule. I prefer the rule of removing an undesirable director after one year instead of allowing incompetence to drag out.
3. Selection executive. Selections for international events should be decided by international director not selection executive. Otherwise ID role is pointless with no powers.

Andy,
are you sure about the selection process??
I Note that, according to the news article on the front page of the CS website, work has not yet started on
"Job Descriptions, Operating Procedures and other procedures"

I would have expected such a detailed constitutional rewrite to commence with Job Descriptions for the directors. Instead the new structure seems to be driven by job title alone.
amuir Wrote:I dont like the new constitution.
Can I vote against it without being present at the meeting ?
On quick reading three points spring to mind already.

1. Grandparent rule. I don't think people should be eligible to play for Scotland if only connection is grandparent.
2. Two year rule. I prefer the rule of removing an undesirable director after one year instead of allowing incompetence to drag out.
3. Selection executive. Selections for international events should be decided by international director not selection executive. Otherwise ID role is pointless with no powers.

Anyone can nominate a proxy to vote for them be it for or against.

Quote:Anyone who cannot attend, may nominate a proxy by notifying the Executive Director by 7th July, 2015
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Derek Howie Wrote:
amuir Wrote:I cant make midweek morning meetings. Why not have a vote at AGM instead ? Discriminates against those working.

Totally agree. It's dreadful that they are trying to limit the number of people being able to attend and debate this by making it when most working people can't make it.

Whether or not I make it will depend on any issues that crop up at the Scottish, so it is entirely possible I won't be there either if we have a major IT issue which can and often happens at a tournament
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
The "grandparent" rule has been discussed before. I just wish to give a scenario for consideration.

In their younger days two sets of Scottish grandparents left Scotland for economic reasons. Their children and grandchildren were born outside Scotland and the children have a passport of their country of birth. Both sets of grandparents have retired to Scotland and are visited regularly by their keen chess playing grandchildren at long weekends and school holidays.

The grandchildren play in chess events in Scotland and are members of ChessScotland. The grandparents, parents and the children themselves have a desire for these grandchildren to be considered for selection for Scotland at full international (junior) level.

As it stands in the "old constitution" these grandchildren do not qualify for international selection consideration.

Does that seem like a fair system?
robin moore Wrote:The "grandparent" rule has been discussed before. I just wish to give a scenario for consideration.

In their younger days two sets of Scottish grandparents left Scotland for economic reasons. Their children and grandchildren were born outside Scotland and the children have a passport of their country of birth. Both sets of grandparents have retired to Scotland and are visited regularly by their keen chess playing grandchildren at long weekends and school holidays.

The grandchildren play in chess events in Scotland and are members of ChessScotland. The grandparents, parents and the children themselves have a desire for these grandchildren to be considered for selection for Scotland at full international (junior) level.

As it stands in the "old constitution" these grandchildren do not qualify for international selection consideration.

Does that seem like a fair system?

Does all this mean that the new constitution is being used to reverse a previous controversial decision (controversial whichever way the decision went).

If that is so - and I haven't bothered to read the minutes of recent general meetings and council meetings - then the small print in this new constitution is being used to reverse the status quo.

Now that doesn't seem fair to me.
I do not know any proxy people who support my views.
If anyone wishes to vote with me on these 3 points please let me know.
If not, I am disenfranchised because of working.
The grandparent rule, 1 year election rule and ID selection powers rule should not be amended without an AGM vote.
Scenarios:
Grandparent: several English GMs wish to join Scottish team and freeze out young Scottish players Calum + Clement.
Incompetent director who does no work refuses to step down under 2 year rule despite being unversally disliked.
New selection chairman sacks the current selection committee of Colin, Douglas and me.
Andy, If you can't find someone, I will register your vote for you (if you email me the proxy), Not the first time and not the last time I have voted for and against a motion... I will not see anyone disenfranchised!
amuir Wrote:Incompetent director who does no work refuses to step down under 2 year rule despite being unversally disliked.

Find 10 like minded people and call an SGM to remove them!
Andy Howie Wrote:
amuir Wrote:Incompetent director who does no work refuses to step down under 2 year rule despite being unversally disliked.

Find 10 like minded people and call an SGM to remove them!

My turn to be the pedant -

find 9 people - because in total 10 names are needed.

:p