Poll: Team line-ups should be published before matches.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
55.56%
15 55.56%
No
44.44%
12 44.44%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson Poll #7 - Team Sheet Publication
If the concept is popular a separate poll to offer options on how much in advance will follow.
I am staggered that 'yes' is winning here.
Where's the benefit?

If it's enforced, it will cause some dreadful disputes.
If it's not enforced, it won't achieve it's aims (whatever they might be).

I'd be interested to hear why people are voting in favour. Is it just those people who want to be able to prepare for a specific opponent?
Robert Lothian Wrote:I am staggered that 'yes' is winning here.
Where's the benefit?

If it's enforced, it will cause some dreadful disputes.
If it's not enforced, it won't achieve it's aims (whatever they might be).

I'd be interested to hear why people are voting in favour. Is it just those people who want to be able to prepare for a specific opponent?

I am staggered that 'No' has 10 votes!

Can you give us an example of the dreadful disputes you envisage Robert?

I voted yes because I like to prepare and don't like the idea of certain teams (even if it were my own team) having an unfair advantage using board-order jiggery-pokery.
Ok, so 'staggered' was something of an exaggeration. If the question had been 'would you prefer to know your opponent in advance', I would have expected positive votes. But it wasn't.

Here's the problem I foresee. You announce your team, your opponents prepare, then someone pulls out at the last minute. You get a substitute to play on bottom board and some (perhaps all) of your opponents have wasted their preparation.

So, what's the penalty for playing 'the wrong team'? If there is no penalty, then that's a perfect opportunity for the dodgy behaviour you're afraid of.

If there's a penalty, (e.g. default the board, so that everyone else plays on the board originally announced) then that's grossly unfair to genuine cases. I had to pull out of the last Richardson tie at short notice for an unimpeachable reason and I'm sure similar things will happen a few times every year.

My objection is purely pragmatic, as outlined above.

It's perfectly reasonable that some people prefer to know their opponent in advance. That doesn't promote it to a moral imperative that they must know. To my mind, it isn't a moral issue at all.