Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest FIDE announcement
eh no they're not Willie .. Smile
I see that FIDE have deferred the effective date for the new Regulations for Registration and Licensing of Players from 1 April 2015 to 1 July 2015. It would seem the new procedures have perturbed quite a number of Federations - as Andy (H) pointed out.

I suggest it’s these FIDE “stats” and their implications, we should be focussing on rather than overblown figures of speech.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:eh no they're not Willie .. Smile

Correct its Mr Hulme that Is Willie.

Liked Willie's emoticon which on close examination looks a bit like it could be a Scottish chess player suffering the side effects of a small beer.

=))

For chess players these new regulations seem to condense into something that is surprising predictable.

= Answer all questions on the entry form.

= no change except there might a request for an email address
Phil Thomas Wrote:Liked Willie's emoticon which on close examination looks a bit like it could be a Scottish chess player suffering the side effects of a small beer.

I'm shocked and stunned -

I didn't know there was such a thing as a small beer!
Sorry, Phil. I thought we’d agreed about the basic structure of the reforms set out in the new FIDE Regulations and their possible objective. (See our posts dated 6 March above). Now you seem to be swinging back to your original narrow and one-sided view.

There is a world of difference between the freedom of choice that the individual chess player may exercise and the duties and responsibilities that National Chess Federations bear. Here in UK, the NCFs are bound by the provisions of the Data Protection Act. You may look this up on the GOV.UK website. There, one ‘data protection principle’ states that ‘personal information may not be transferred outside the UK without adequate protection.’ Other points are just as compelling: ‘used fairly and lawfully’; ‘accurate’; ‘kept safe and secure’; ‘used for limited, specifically stated purposes’; ‘kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary’ etc. etc.

How does FIDE fit into this profile? Three points here. First, it’s waving a big stick, threatening punitive action in the event of non-compliance. [How does this relate to ‘used fairly and lawfully’?] Second, C 3.7 states: “FOA* licensing is irrelevant to the Federation of the players.” [There is a conflict here. NCFs are required to provide data, including valid email addresses, to help administer the FOA, but they themselves will not be involved in running it. It will all be done electronically from a central point? But where will that location be?] Third, the database of players’ personal data, including valid email addresses, seems geared to the marketing of FIDE events, including FOA. How does that square with the DPA here in the UK?

Personally, I think CS would be well advised not to stand alone on this matter but to seek an alliance or United Front with other NCFs that share their administrative and legal obligations.

Oh, … and a valid email address is sensitive information.

[* FOA stands for FIDE Online Arena]
George Murphy Wrote:Sorry, Phil. I thought we’d agreed about the basic structure of the reforms set out in the new FIDE Regulations and their possible objective. (See our posts dated 6 March above). Now you seem to be swinging back to your original narrow and one-sided view.
Not at all George if you read my recent posting I wrote

For chess players these new regulations seem to condense into something that is surprising predictable.

= Answer all questions on the entry form.

= no change except there might a request for an email address.

As a chess player entering a tournament that is what I would do. Not worry about DPA /CS /other national bodies FIDE or how sensitive my personal e mail address is and who might use it for marketing.

Not clear on your reference to March 6th posts. That was the day when you got confused between oxymorons and idioms in your first paragraph. Given that as an introduction I did no more than skim read the other 8 paragraphs.

But I did say later" Suspect you're correct George in your analysis of FIDE's words and FIDE's real intentions"
Maybe my suspicions were wrong?
in my opinion George is right and I'll tell you why...
Chess Scotland like all of us are bound by the Data Protection Act (amended 1998 from the 1974 Act to allow for electronic information) in that it is illegal to disclose personal and sensitive information without the specific and written consent (e.g ticking a box to allow this) by the owner of, for example, the e-mail address. Phil himself pointed this out to me when I advertently carbon copied him with an update of the Lanark Open when I used an alternative email address by mistake.
Unless Chess Scotland has express written consent, it cannot divulge email and other information (I'm surprised year of birth can slip through for adults) Date of birth is a grey issue as it is used for validation but still written consent should be sought. I much prefer the option of a chess Scotland email address is used since the ownership of that email address is with chess Scotland. We're definitely sailing into dangerous territory on this one and it would not surprise me in the slightest if other chess federations had similar or even more restrictive legal challenges Smile
Ianbrownlee Wrote:in my opinion George is right and I'll tell you why...
Chess Scotland like all of us are bound by the Data Protection Act (amended 1998 from the 1974 Act to allow for electronic information) in that it is illegal to disclose personal and sensitive information without the specific and written consent (e.g ticking a box to allow this) by the owner of, for example, the e-mail address. Phil himself pointed this out to me when I advertently carbon copied him with an update of the Lanark Open when I used an alternative email address by mistake.
Unless Chess Scotland has express written consent, it cannot divulge email and other information (I'm surprised year of birth can slip through for adults) Date of birth is a grey issue as it is used for validation but still written consent should be sought. I much prefer the option of a chess Scotland email address is used since the ownership of that email address is with chess Scotland. We're definitely sailing into dangerous territory on this one and it would not surprise me in the slightest if other chess federations had similar or even more restrictive legal challenges Smile

Ian,
I still maintain that worrying about release of adult e mails addresses to FIDE is a red herring (to use a familiar idiom) to chess players not concerned with administration of national chess bodies. Others have pointed out recently this notice board is the not always an appropriate place to discuss and debate CS policy.

I can go into a post office and ask to see the electoral role for your area. It will tell me where you live, who your live with, who your neighbours here and perhaps the names of any 17 year old living with you. Compared with that what is the danger of a stranger obtaining your e mail address?

Release of junior email addresses though would introduce child protection issues. A subject worthy of discussion at Council or agm
Ianbrownlee Wrote:I can go into a post office and ask to see the electoral role for your area. It will tell me where you live, who your live with, who your neighbours here and perhaps the names of any 17 year old living with you. Compared with that what is the danger of a stranger obtaining your e mail address?

But you wont get my email address...
cos going into the post office and viewing that type of information isn't covered by the act in this way, emails and other electronic details are. The Act amendment in 1998 deals mainly with electronic data and its disclosure are. I repeat if someone or some organisation discloses personal details about you without your consent (it should be written) then they are in breach of the Act. Of course there are exceptions , national security, criminal activity, certain medical records etc. The data in the post office if its in written or verbal form is covered by the Data Protection Act 1974 updated by the Act in 1998, driven by advances in technology. Ever wondered why you normally pay £1.00, well pay me a fiver and 1'll tell you more (only kidding.) You may notice that there are no contact details in the electoral roll. That's why you have a legal right to have your telephone number ex directory. I believe only a legal warrant can get ex directory information.
What does all this mean? Simply that if Chess Scotland ever discloses personal email and other personal information without proving consent and that person objects, Chess Scotland could technically get into trouble. And before anybody asks personal information could include what I eat, etc unless information is in the public domain , such as where I live, who i'm shacked up with and where my 17 year old is (unless my 17 year old is considered private knowledge e.g hidden by a legal body for witness protection) Smile Smile

The solution is either to provide an email address by a body such as Chess Scotland or have a formal form which it possible to tick information my be given to other bodies. This form would also need to be signed
Ian,
just one thing I would disagree with in your posting. You state their are no contact details on the electoral role. One's home address is there - that's a contact detail of great value to any to any person or organisation planning criminal acts of violence.

I agree that there is a theoretical risk after passing on electronic contact details. Possibly at a similar level to prosecution if a neighbour slips on ice after one clears snow and ice away outside the front door. Theoretically a possibility but last I heard that had never happened in the UK and I think had never happened in the more litigation minded USA either.

If you are worried about the risk involved with releasing mail addresses to FIDE and would like players to fill in a form. Then I suggest (again) that the only form the typical chess player will reliably fill in is an entry form.

Any players not caught by that method? just write to them to say "If you have no objections your registered e mail address will be passed to FIDE to comply with new FIDE regulations". Should be easy you already have their mail addresses.

Simples - no need for a storm in a tea cup. Just do it CS and move on.