Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Scottish?
Normally I don't have an issue with quick draws, but when the players are getting free entry and appearance fees to draw after 3 moves is a bit disappointing to say the least...
I would prefer the rules didn't allow this. When the rules do allow this and these guys are to some extent relying on chess to support themselves then I don't blame them at all for doing whatever is within the rules to maximise their earnings.
JRedpath Wrote:Normally I don't have an issue with quick draws, but when the players are getting free entry and appearance fees to draw after 3 moves is a bit disappointing to say the least...

This was the point made to me by a friend who was watching online and thought initially there had been a 'transmission error' on the live boards.

hamish olson Wrote:I would prefer the rules didn't allow this. When the rules do allow this and these guys are to some extent relying on chess to support themselves then I don't blame them at all for doing whatever is within the rules to maximise their earnings.

Again, the issue of appearance fees/conditions would mitigate against this being a fully valid point. Appearance fee/conditions paid - play a 3 move draw with non-norm seeker - play with full energy against norm seekers - maximise earnings - disappoint the (admittedly non-paying) public!
Funny that, a friend of mine (who knows nothing about chess) said "The first places drew after 3 moves. Are they lazy or is it more convenient for them to get 0.5 points each?"
Good result for the Dutch GM, a draw with black against one of his main rivals.
My suggestion to avoid this happening is to make conditions given to players "conditional" on them not having short draws - that way if someone like me can't be arsed playing chess against my best mate in the final round on board 20 then we can agree a short draw and go home (or play the shortest stalemate possible like certain Hamilton chess players...). There are flaws with this i.e. what if two players strong enough to finish in the top few but didn't get conditions do this but at least then it is likely to be norm-seekers increasing their norm chances which is on the whole a good thing.

I agree with Andy (and pretty much everyone else that has commented on this topic) that the draw was a bad thing for the tournament I just don't think the players should be blamed - being a professional chess player who is outside the top 10 is a pretty precarious existence (I believe!) and they are entitled to make tactical decisions like this if the rules permit them (IMHO).
Does anyone have a summary of the permutations going into the last round tomorrow?

Neil has a 2400+ TPR so a draw tomorrow gives him an IM norm? He will also be Scottish champion if he wins?

Roddy, Craig & Keti are all level with Neil on 6 points and seem to be well placed to challenge also.

Also was out today, did the live boards work? None of the games from todays play are currently available.
The live boards were working today. I was following along on ChessBomb and the games are still available here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-scotland">http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-scotland</a><!-- m -->
Lothian Junior Chess
http://www.ljc.org.uk
Just checked and yes they are still there. Are you clicking on the round 9 by any chance?? Thats tomorrows games!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Ummmm that could be it, because it did look like the Rnd 9 games look now Smile

Am assumming in event of tie break, Scottish Champion is decided by 1. Result against each other, or/then, 2. TPR ?

The excitement is building and am not even there. Permutations for anyone who is clued up?