Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Links to Clubs & Club Websites
I had a quick (and I do mean quick) look for a list of clubs or links to club web site on the CS website but failed.

Is there one and how does one submit a link to be added?
There is a link via, Home/Main Menu/Clubs

or you can this is the link

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?vps...CumqIng2Po
The link from Home/ Main Menu doesn't work on tablets or smartphones (Android or Apple) as the drop-down menu won't open. It's been more than 3 years since I first reported this issue and suggested to Andrew McHarg that he bring back the links that used to be at the bottom of the page.

Cheers,
Jim
For Android I have found if you long press on the menu and get the pop up, if you hit the back button the menu appears
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Thanks. Found it.

Do think that 'Main menu' should be renamed as it is not at all helpful in telling the user what might be hidden there. I also feel that the clubs are so important to chess that this item should be in plain view on the home page.

Similarly links to other chess organisations like Lothian Junior chess, SJC & NEJCA etc should be a bit more visible.
Have you emailed Andrew McHarg about it?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I have emailed Andrew McHarg a few times over the last 3 or more years and he replied that he would work on a programming fix. I think my suggestion of putting back the links that were taken away from the bottom of the home page is a simple quick method of making the website work properly again in the meantime.

I was at a Lanarkshire League AGM a couple of seasons ago and they needed to check the previous year's results which were not archived on their own website. They decided to access them through the CS home page by smartphone and wouldn't believe me when I told them it would be impossible, till they actually tried it.

Why not have fancy drop-down menus AND working links?

Cheers,
Jim
Main Menu

Oddly enough, I personally would think that this would be the first link that I would investigate. Surely Main Menu is something that catches the eye, and needs looking at.

As far as I can recall, and that may not be too far, the 'Browse the site' menu has remained essentially unchanged for quite a long time, several years at least. How come it is only now found to be wanting?
All

The website should now show an exhaustive version of the navigation menu (without the drop-downs) when using a mobile or tablet. It's not overly pretty as there's a lot of menu items, but I'm sure everyone will agree it's a lot better than not being able to access the pages on those devices.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. That works a lot better. :ymapplause: