Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nancy Elder 2014-15
Like many I am new to this and am wondering if some of you may be able to tell me what has been the norm in previous seasons. The Elder rules document seems to not really be fit for purpose (IMHO) and rather outdated and badly needing attention.

In particular Rule 5 regarding time control:

5. The use of clocks shall be compulsory and the clock shall be provided by the home player. Each player shall have 2 hours 30 minutes to play all moves. In order to facilitate midweek arrangements this may be reduced by mutual agreement to not less than 1 hour 30 minutes each player to play all moves. Failing agreement 2 hours 30 minutes per player shall apply.

So the default time is a 5hr game (2hr 30mins each). In reality does that really every happen in the early rounds? I am assuming it is rarely used? It pretty much rules out a midweek game for starters. And if the person who is travelling has a bit of a trip you are looking at a whole day on a weekend. I also thought weekend games were pretty rare in the early rounds and midweek games were more the norm?

Just wondering what is the norm really, I was assuming most players show flexibility and the norm is something like a 1hr 30min game is the done thing for the early rounds?
I'm not going to comment on Jonathan's posting other than to say I disagree with the 'not fit for purpose' assertion, but what does anyone else think? If you agree then what needs to change? I have exchanged emails with Jonathan discussing some of his thoughts and questions.

Early results:
Alan Armstrong ½ - ½ Calum McGillvray
Arthur Grant 0 - 1 Euan Dawson
A 5 hour game? How many clubs can have access to their premises for a 5 hour game?
More results:

A Armstrong 0 – 1 C McGillvray
S Hilton 1 – 0 P McGovern
J Lynch 1 – 0 L Paton
P Shafi 1 – 0 J Robertson
Latest results:

C McGillvray 1 – 0 D Maley
C Donkin .5 Keen
C Smith 0 – 1 D Shafi
S Banerjee .5 A Kidd
S Banerjee 0 – 1 A Kidd

The Regional finalists are now known:

North East: Declan Shafi vs. Agnijo Banerjee
West & SE: Calum McGillvray vs. Steve Hilton

For completeness all the results to date are:

Prelim round

Alan Armstrong (b) .5 Calum McGillivray
Armstrong (w) 0 – 1 McGillvray
Hilton (b) 1 – 0 McGovern
S Banerjee (b) .5 Kidd
S Banerjee (w) 0 – 1 Kidd
C Smith 0 (b) – 1 D Shafi
E. Dawson (b) 1 - 0 A. Grant
P Shafi (b) 1 – 0 Robertson
Lynch (b) 1 – 0 Paton

Round 1

McGillvray (b) 1 – 0 Maley
Gillies (b) .5 Brownlee
Brownlee (w) 1 – 0 Gillies
Hilton (w) 1 – 0 Aitchison
Donkin (w) .5 Keen
Donkin (b) .5 Keen
Donkin 1 – 0 Keen (15min per player)
Anderson (w) 1 – 0 Kidd
D Shafi (b) 1 – 0 E Dawson
P Shafi (w) 1 – 0 Lynch
Noble (b) 0 – 1 A Banerjee
Donkin (w) 0 – 1 Hilton

Quarter Final/Regional Semi-Final

McGillvray (w) 1 - 0 Brownlee
Hilton (b) 1 – 0 Donkin
Anderson (b) 0 - 1 D Shafi
A Banerjee (b) 1 - 0 P Shafi
Congratulations to Stephen Hilton after beating Calum McGillvray In the West & SE final
The final was played today at the CS team finals in Grangemouth.

D Shafi ½ - ½ S Hilton

A replay will take place next week.
Declan writes:

Quote:I dropped a pawn early on but I got some compensation for it and he played a bit passively. I managed to exchange the minor pieces and then the queens off favourably then he seemed to miss that I could regain my pawn and go into a drawn rook and pawn endgame
Keith Rose Wrote:Declan writes:

Quote:I dropped a pawn early on but I got some compensation for it and he played a bit passively. I managed to exchange the minor pieces and then the queens off favourably then he seemed to miss that I could regain my pawn and go into a drawn rook and pawn endgame

Yes,
I underestimated the counter play, but I missed the win when I played Ng4 a move early when I should have played Bxe4 then after Bxe4 then Ng4 wining for white as Black would have to deal with both Nh6 mate and also Nf6ch winning the piece