Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens 2014-15
Keith, I will start of even though I informed you why Dunbar never entered the Spens after our maiden voyage last season (just to put it in the public domain). Basicaly there was no enthusiasium within the squad members to enter it again as the potential travel involved put many off. There was also no one volunteering for Team Captain. Although 2 members from last years Dunbar Spen's team will probably play again with another club they are a member off.
Fide rating has not had a postitive effect so far.
It's also not had a negative one: of the ten teams (it definitely looks like ten teams from the grading results) that entered the Richardson last year, Oban and Castlehill haven't entered this year. Both of those are discussed by Keith. All of the strongest teams (which would be the ones that you might think would have people being put off by FIDE concerns) are still participating.
Phones have now joined the Spens party, so the two lists are:

Richardson (8 teams):
Bon Accord
Cathcart
Dundee
Edinburgh
Edinburgh West
Glasgow Polytechnic
Hamilton
Wandering Dragons

Spens (8 teams):
Castlehill
Edinburgh Civil Service
Glasgow Polytechnic
Irvine
Kilmarnock
Phones
Troon
Wandering Dragons
Hi Keith and Andy M
I went to Grangemouth tonight to inspect the access to the main hall upstairs the venue is good enough from a disability point of view. I inspected the lift which operates using a dead man switch inside and outside of the lift.

In the event of a fire the lift cannot be used in any circumstance. There are two alternative fire exits as an alternative to the main entrance. One fire exit is internal and be only be used by able bodied people . The other fire exit is external and again can only be used by able bodied people to traverse the stairs although wheelchair bound people can wait outside on a fire resistant platform on the exit until the fire brigade arrive. However this is not necessary as there is a fire resistant manual trolley chair system (evacu-chair)which can manually and securely carry one person down the stairs (ideally next to the lift) with the assistance of an able bodied person (preferably two)

I also met some new friends at Grangemouth Chess Club who helped me (thanks for that) along with the caretaker. I can also confirm that alternative rooms would seem to be available if any issues regarding access occur although I would encourage a three week notice as already indicated is put in place. There are also disabled toilets both on the first and ground floors.

The trolley chair (evacu-chair) is a really good idea to help getting wheelchair bound people out in an emergency should the lift become unavailable and maybe a solution for other venues. The rest of the venue is superbly kitted out for amenities and for access. The evacu-chair is designed to exit a person out, it is not ideal to bring a person in upstairs although it could be used in exceptional cirstumstances.

I would also suggest whoever is supervising the finals and other events at this venue take a few minutes to familiarise the facilities including the lift, fire exits and café. I can produce a basic crib sheet if required.
With 8 teams in both events - 1st round takes place in January. This also avoids Basque date clash.
Richardson losers can challenge each other to a FIDE rated friendly in March, same date as Campbell Rosebowl.
Final in main hall, 1st floor, Grangemouth. Ian to confirm if 20 boards can be fitted ok, 12.30-6.30 room booked, 25 April. I'm now working in Leeds for a while - went to chess club last night and will play in their league - but have internet access.
Ian has confirmed since there were 21 boards used last year then it is obvious it's ok this year for 20 boards there is plenty of room this year I also believe there is only 5 boards in the Spens cup this year.
Spens and Rosebowl are 5 boards, but that still needs three tables per match of course.
Keith Rose Wrote:Spens and Rosebowl are 5 boards, but that still needs three tables per match of course.
Surely 2.5 boards per match.

The two board fives could share a table.

For me its always my personal preference to have a neighbouring game alongside - for the occasions when I end up with a really quiet position to play, and I need something more interesting to watch.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:Hi Keith and Andy M
I went to Grangemouth tonight to inspect the access to the main hall upstairs the venue is good enough from a disability point of view. I inspected the lift which operates using a dead man switch inside and outside of the lift.

In the event of a fire the lift cannot be used in any circumstance. There are two alternative fire exits as an alternative to the main entrance. One fire exit is internal and be only be used by able bodied people . The other fire exit is external and again can only be used by able bodied people to traverse the stairs although wheelchair bound people can wait outside on a fire resistant platform on the exit until the fire brigade arrive. However this is not necessary as there is a fire resistant manual trolley chair system (evacu-chair)which can manually and securely carry one person down the stairs (ideally next to the lift) with the assistance of an able bodied person (preferably two)

I also met some new friends at Grangemouth Chess Club who helped me (thanks for that) along with the caretaker. I can also confirm that alternative rooms would seem to be available if any issues regarding access occur although I would encourage a three week notice as already indicated is put in place. There are also disabled toilets both on the first and ground floors.

The trolley chair (evacu-chair) is a really good idea to help getting wheelchair bound people out in an emergency should the lift become unavailable and maybe a solution for other venues. The rest of the venue is superbly kitted out for amenities and for access. The evacu-chair is designed to exit a person out, it is not ideal to bring a person in upstairs although it could be used in exceptional cirstumstances.

I would also suggest whoever is supervising the finals and other events at this venue take a few minutes to familiarise the facilities including the lift, fire exits and café. I can produce a basic crib sheet if required.

I am trained to use those Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"