Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motion 1 (wording to go to Council)
amuir Wrote:Ian
Can you answer the specific question ? Are Edinburgh and Grangemouth suitable venues for Richardson matches this season under FIDE rules ?

Andy
I've haven't seen the Edinburgh venue for twenty years so I don't know. Do I have the authority to judge them , probably not. If I was invited to go and give a personal opinion, then probably yes if I would go. I believe it is you as the tournament director to make the decision, although I would be happy to assist.. I had a client at a premises in Alva Street in Edinburgh who would have a problem with the current rules as their toilet was in the basement when the entry was in the ground floor. However they had a entrance in the basement with various rooms so with little effort this building would become easily become usable. If Edinburgh CC had a room available on the ground floor or alternative arrangements there is no problem. It's all down to who Edinburgh has to cater for and whether the disabled person is satisfied with the arrangements

If grangemouth is the same venue I played in recently, I would say the venue is suitable but the room may not be dependant on both the type of disability and for facilities. However the venue should be OK for all kinds of access providing a ground level room is used for wheelchair bound players. Again the arbiter/organiser should be given as much time as possible to secure adequate facilities. Personally I very much favour the what if approach .
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=12666#">posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=12666#</a><!-- l -->
As for health and safety , this must also be taken into account, especially in the event of a potential fire. I have also been asked about time restricted alternative venues such as a public house who have a kicking out junior policy after 8.00 PM. I am sure it is reasonable to move games forward to say 1.00 PM if that is an effort to comply with a person's request. E.G. the disabled player may play a junior who cannot play after 8.00 pm in the offered disabled premises. That is working out a solution. Unfortunately for this to work, the disabled player may =have to disclose what board he/she would be playing on
StevieHilton Wrote:" As the rules stand (FIDE) if the complaint is upheld then no game in the entire tournament can be FIDE rated, even for games held in different rounds and/or different venues."

Ian, I would say that you are mistaken in your interpretation here. please reconsider your interpretation.

nope,
I've double checked this with a senior CS director who concurs with me, thems the rules kemo Sabey which must be followed.
Ian,

I am sure that every chess player in Scotland agrees that this is an important issue but we need to take a deep breath and consider what it may mean for ordinary clubs. Offhand, in Ayrshire, Stewarton, Ayr and Troon have no disabled access as they play in older buildings. There may be more in that area (mine), I am not certain.

We need to be 100% sure if we are going to enforce anything. Let's not rush anything here, the issue deserves more thought to help Scottish chess.
robin moore Wrote:Ian,

I am sure that every chess player in Scotland agrees that this is an important issue but we need to take a deep breath and consider what it may mean for ordinary clubs. Offhand, in Ayrshire, Stewarton, Ayr and Troon have no disabled access as they play in older buildings. There may be more in that area (mine), I am not certain.

We need to be 100% sure if we are going to enforce anything. Let's not rush anything here, the issue deserves more thought to help Scottish chess.

which is why we need more info about local chess clubs. I have had correspondence from a member of one of the clubs you mentioned and I have re assured him that with the provisions we have both suggested, his club is more than adequate obviously I haven't seen the premises yet, but as I have known the correspondent for years I can take him as his word