Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motion 1 (wording to go to Council)
Jim Webster Wrote:Copied below this was the actual wording of the FIDE Guidelines. These are not as far as I am aware negotiable/alterable by Chess Scotland

as far as the fide-rated events go I believe these are ratified guidelines ? as I've said before what happens when the guidelines are attempted to be followed but fail in their implementation ? what penalty is followed in for example in a fide rated spens cup. Does the game not get fide rated, the match or the whole tournament or does anything happen at all ? I wouldn't be happy if my game wasn't fide rated playing for Team A if an infraction happened in a match between team B and Team C ( a disabled player in team B is unable to play in an unsuitable venue provided by team C). Can any other penalty be implemented. If nothing at all haven't we all been unnecessarily spending a lot of energy on this?

I'm only asking the question because I really don't know

I've given a possible scenario elsewhere on this thread. I really would like to hear other opinions on this. Perhaps C+S
would have to provide a central venue for these games
You could consider the rule when clubs are over a certain distance apart. Neutral venue. These are the things that CS council has to consider
StevieHilton Wrote:Neutral venue

then who vets that as suitable?
The disability officer needs to help with the Richardson & Spens rules and resolving disputes on premises.
I expect most venues to be unsuitable for these FIDE rated matches including Edinburgh CC and Grangemouth.
Certain clubs may have to seek new venues.This means a lot of extra work for Keith Rose and others. I don't have the expertise to expand my duties and I will be passing the difficult decisions to the arbiters and elected CS officials.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:

You should as disability officer or the team captain of the team giving up the home venue.
Ian
What should be the penalty for a club which does not provide disability access ? We need to get this drafted in the rules. Is it possible to state before the tournament which venues are/are not suitable ?
What is the process for a dispute on the eve/morning of a match ? Who will be the on-call arbiters to make these last minute decisions ?
Perhaps there should be a closer examination of the disability requirements. Many visually and hearing impaired players have good mobility skills and can walk relatively well, perhaps if it does require the aid of an assistant. Taking this into consideration the main access problems arise with disabled players who have distinct mobility difficulties, for example - wheelchair bound or using walking aids.

Many of the guidelines still need to be implemented, but the responsibility is very much on the disabled player to define their requirements a reasonable time in advance. (At one stage the guidelines said 20 days, but I'm not sure if that has since been reworded)

Many of the venues, Edinburgh Chess Club, Grangemouth and others do not provide an real impediment to all disabled players that may want to play there. Providing assistants and most of the other requirements should not really be a problem for many venues.
StevieHilton Wrote:
Ianbrownlee Wrote:

You should as disability officer or the team captain of the team giving up the home venue.

in a neutral venue there is no home captain as such and the chances are no one has even seen this venue before.

Also
I don't believe there is a need to start checking disability on anybody, or keep any records. As already stated by other people. The onus is on the disabled player to indicate his or her needs as soon as possible. If there is say three or four weeks notice then I don't see an issue if both captains agree a scenario. Each complaint would have to be judged. If the home organiser refuses to help (which I think has never happened) then a complaint would have to be sent to the tournament director who would then have to judge each case on its own merit. As the rules stand (FIDE) if the complaint is upheld then no game in the entire tournament can be FIDE rated, even for games held in different rounds and/or different venues.

You can see where this is going. There is not one organiser but at least one per venue per match. I think we have to specify the interval between when the game is actually played and when a disabled player is expected to request his/her requirements.
Ian
Can you answer the specific question ? Are Edinburgh and Grangemouth suitable venues for Richardson matches this season under FIDE rules ?
" As the rules stand (FIDE) if the complaint is upheld then no game in the entire tournament can be FIDE rated, even for games held in different rounds and/or different venues."

Ian, I would say that you are mistaken in your interpretation here. please reconsider your interpretation.