Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endgame books
Looking to improve my endgames (the part of chess I enjoy the most!) anyone recommend a book that gives good explanation of fortresses?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I've been reading this book, which I'm finding very interesting and useful:

100 Endgames You Must Know
http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Endgames-You...9056912445
Wikipedia has a good article on fortresses and a large set of references at the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_(chess)
Hi Jim
I'm gonna buy that one as well I think. Andy, I've got definitive endgame books if you want to borrow them.

My weaknesses are two fold

1. bishop v knight strategy ( more middlegame than endgame)
2. Playing Jimmy Doyle (he did it to me again at the stewarton allegro!)

Hopefully someone will help me with the first one , I'm hoping the use of a cricket bat will solve the second one (only kidding Jimmy I enjoy playing you more than anyone else despite the usual result) Smile Smile Smile
Quote:only kidding Jimmy I enjoy playing you more than anyone else despite the usual result

Ian, I thought you said you enjoyed getting beaten by Luke Greenslade every time he plays you?
Arthur Mulholland Wrote:
Quote:only kidding Jimmy I enjoy playing you more than anyone else despite the usual result

Ian, I thought you said you enjoyed getting beaten by Luke Greenslade every time he plays you?

there's another game I threw last year, thank you for the reminder. I would say luke's name is in my wee black book, but it's turned into a dirty big black book. I don't know how my grading went up at all this year?

Seriously Arthur how are you keeping? can I play in your Spens cup team this year? Crawl, crawl
Jolly good mate. Will see you shortly
The first Endgame book I actually read was concise chess endings by Neil McDonald. To the point, useful and you can stick it in your pocket and read it on the bus. I recommend this as a good place to start if you cant face the massive tomes from other writers. If on the other hand you are not reading it on the bus and really do plan to put in full 100+ hours then you can skip straight to Dvoresky which is still the standard reference. Nunn and the 100 Endgames to Know book also do the job but I still find myself cross referencing Dvoresty first if I really want an answer.
Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master