Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Scottish Championship
Whats the norm with the planning for the Scottish. Is the starting point usualy a bit of discussion on the subject at the upcoming AGM? Maybe there has even been some discussion already and there are draught plans, particularly with regards to location?

1. Given it may have to tie in with family holidays and require future planning and accomodation booking, when is a date likely to materialise?
2. Could we please ensure (if possible) that the next Scottish is well within the school holiday period?
3. As the last 2 Scottish's have been in the West, is it likely the next one will be in the East, or even the North (to spread the joy etc)?

I don't wish to get ahead of ourselves or give any of our great organising volunteers grief and stress. It just seemed a good time to raise these questions with an AGM around the corner.
Can Alex and I please get back into the country first Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I think thats reasonable Smile

Don't suppose you managed to persuade Mr Kasparov or any other legends to come along next year?
Below is copied from another thread, but best placed here really.

To be helpful in my own miniscule way I just collected a few dates from the official council websites on when Schools break up:

Wed 24 Jun - S.Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Thu 25 Jun - Fife/Tayside/Angus, N.Lanarkshire
Fri 26 June - Edinburgh, West Lothian, Stirlingshire, S.Ayrshire, N.Ayrshire
Wed 01 Jul - Borders
Thu 02 Jul - Perth & Kinross
Fri 03 Jul - East Lothian, Midlothian, Aberdeenshire

There is maybe a few council areas missing (apologies to those not included), but it gives a good picture.
Andy Howie Wrote:Jonathan, It will not be in June. This year was an exception

(Andy's above post copied from another thread also)

Andy, appreciate the unique circumstances with Glasgow. Admittedly I have a self-interest and don't want to miss a 2nd Scottish in a row because of term-time, just not taking any chances.

So now we know the aim is to hopefuly host the event in Edinburgh, as the planning develops how about the idea of asking JK Rowling to open the Scottish at some stage? (I believe she lives in Edinburgh, and one of the HP books/films features a big chess scene). And maybe a chess legend to do the prize giving (Mr Kasparov did so at the Euro Seniors!).

Usually such suggestions get ignored or a raised eyebrow smiley face, but we all seem to be saying we need to think big.
Given JK Rowlings political views, perhaps opening the British would be more appropriate for her :p
The idea of a big name connected to the event somehow is a good one though - let's draw up a list of possibles and i'll see if i can contact them Smile (smileys just for you Jonathan Wink )
I don't think it should be 1st 2 weeks in July - It clashes with British as well. I am sure it used t be policy to avoid the clash with the British

Even August would be worth considering

Again personal views - but the dates are the reason myself and boys have not played Scottish

Might be useful to do one of those surveys - think Donald Homes did it for the winter fest- How is it that is done?
Jonathan Livingstone wrote:
Quote:So now we know the aim is to hopefuly host the event in Edinburgh

but Ken Stewart in the AGM thread said the matter wasn't discussed as Alex McF. wasn't available?!

Was the Edinburgh idea just mentioned in the passing then? If Alex McF. has been having different thoughts/discussion we're probably best waiting for him to comment before having a detailed talk about Edinburgh.

Nowt to stop us having a general debate of course, and I appreciate Jonathan used the word 'hopefully', but whose 'hopefully' was it? Smile
If people actually read the Directors reports... Page 19 "Scottish Open 2015
I am working on finding a venue in Edinburgh for next year’s Scottish
Open"
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:If people actually read the Directors reports... Page 19 "Scottish Open 2015
I am working on finding a venue in Edinburgh for next year’s Scottish
Open"

People actually DO read the reports Andy Smile I did and either missed, or more likely mislaid in my memory, this snippet. Thanks for pointing it out though!