Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIDE AGM
Andy Howie Wrote:Kirsan wins 110 - 61 Sad
Something doesn't seem to add up with this result ..especially the margin of the win

Qatar World Cup springs to mind !!
Anyone think Mr Putin has had an unofficial influence over things just because he can and theres a foe involved? I don't really know, just asking the question.
To be honest I think people were taken in by Kirsans promise to give $20million to African chess, doubling Garrys pledge. You could see the rest of the hall go wild whilst the European area had their heads in their hands. Truely gutted for Garry
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:Kirsan wins 110 - 61 Sad

Ouch... 4 more years of the crazed dictator loving alien believing narcissist. :-q
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
What now for Kasparov? Is he likely to challenge our Sepp Blatter in another 4 years.
My first ever speech at the GA was to get it suspended for not following their statutes and being inquorate. How to make an impact Smile
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Some good insight from chess.com read the full article at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chess.com/news/breaking-ilyumzhinov-beats-kasparov-110-61-at-fide-presidential-elections-4528">http://www.chess.com/news/breaking-ilyu ... tions-4528</a><!-- m -->

Garry Kasparov, who suffered the biggest defeat of his life since he lost the world title to Vladimir Kramnik in 2000, remained surprisingly calm. He said to the journalists: “It's a very sad day for chess. I thought the numbers would be slightly better but after this cheering reaction about the 20 million dollars, I knew it was over.” Mr Kasparov speaking to the press About his strategy, he said: “Maybe wrongly, I avoided any personal attacks. We focused on positive things, plans, the future. They had no plans, nothing.”

“FIDE is ill. So many years with the same man and the same people around him, it poisons people's minds. It takes time and medicine to recover.”

Nigel Short was interviewed by VG right after the meeting. He said:

“It's an absolute tragedy what has happened today. It's worse than I thought. A crushing defeat. (...) We've got a despotic regime who is ruining the game of chess and chess will stagnate. For many more years actually as a result of this. There's nothing wrong with chess players. If you ask in the playing hall, I'll bet 9 out of 10 will vote for Kasparov. The problem is: delegates. If the delegate has received an incentive to vote in a particular way, it doesn't matter whatever reason or logic is presented to him.”
And so we begin again today. There is Scottish interest in the vote for the ethics commission as yours truly has been nominated!!!! Would rate my chances about the same as David Cameron becoming first minister of Scotland but I am honoured to be nominated
Good luck all the same Andy! Smile
I was runner up (out of 6) for the ethics commission chair. Vote for members next