Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECU agm
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/9844-complaints-and-decisions-relating-to-bulgarian-chess-federation.html">http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ation.html</a><!-- m -->

I am not sure why ChessScotland sent a Fide delegate to Baku in order to vote in favour of the Bulgarian Chess Federation not being suspended from the European Chess Union.
Robin,

This is a very complex issue, the documentation for it took me close to 8 hours to go through. We had a discussion at the AGM on this as I wanted guidance from the members on how they wanted me to vote.

One of the key tenants of this is there is a simple and easily checked explanation to the documentation not being made available to the ECU. The ECU by their own admission (and quite rightly in my view) contacted various organisations in Bulgaria and Interpol about this and they investigated. The documentation requested in currently with the investigators. Due process has not been completed (3 investigations have completed and nothing untoward was found). If these investigations do uncover something then quite rightly the book needs to be thrown at them.

When you are sitting in the ECU agm and the alleged figure that has been stolen increases with each claim (at one point, one of the members claimed it was 1 million euros), it is clear that there is more to this than meets the eye.

One question that the ECU could not answer is, if this money was "siphoned" from ECU funds, and the books balances, why are we not seeing a 400,000 - 1,000,000 Euro increase in funds available this year.

My suspicion is this was state funded money laundering. I have no proof (obviously) but at the moment, if the amounts are real, given the evidence it is the only credible answer (as well as a possible explaination why Bulgarian government investigations are revealing nothing)

Quite a few other federations felt the same way hence why it was not unanimous.

Had the AGM indicated that I was to vote for suspension, I duly would have.

I predict fairly confidently that this will end up in CAS and Bulgaria will be reinstated.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"