Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
Douglas Bryson Wrote:Not connected directly or prompted by any previous motion or discussion I intend to propose under AOCB that "The Richardson and Spens Cups should be FIDE rated."

It would be fine if we had level playing field for preparing for these games. Some time back Keith Rose suggested I make a proposal on this with Andy B. Unfortunately due to other commitments we both had over the summer this was not submitted before now. Here is where we got to:

Clubs entering the Richardson Cup should submit their team pool in board playing order. This order is entirely at discretion of the club. There is no requirement to order players based on rating taken from any grading system.
The team must, however, adhere absolutely to this board order for duration of the event.
Team pools should include a minimum 8 players and a maximum of 16 players.
Team Pools will be made available to team captains 2 weeks prior to the first round.
A team may add a maximum of 2 players to their initial pool during the course of the event on condition it does result in list size exceeding the maximum 16. Players already listed cannot be removed to “make way” for new players.
To add a new player, submission should be made to event controller indicating where this player will slot into order of existing list. Assuming eligibility criteria are met the revised list becomes effective 2 weeks after publication by the event controller. The event controller is obliged to publish the revised pool to team captains within 1 week of submission. The practical implication is a team captain will need to notify the controller 3 weeks prior to a match it they wish to play someone who is not listed in their existing team pool.

I will not be in Glasgow for the AGM but if anyone would be willing to put it to the room I would be grateful. As always would be interested to hear any feedback here also.
Douglas Bryson Wrote:Not connected directly or prompted by any previous motion or discussion I intend to propose under AOCB that "The Richardson and Spens Cups should be FIDE rated.

I strongle agree with you Douglas
Just to clarify, we have two commissions giving different versions of what we should be doing hence the confusion. The Chaos of Tromso meant I could not bring this up at the GA which was what I intended to do.

My understanding is this will be getting sorted out, eventually but events have taken place in other countries that have been fide rated without the arbiter present (but at the end of a phone). A couple of us have agreed to be the arbiter at the end of the phone (better with a couple in case one is not available!).
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Going back to Phils suggestion, I am waiting to hear from Steven on what he thinks about it before working out how to proceed. Unfortunately it is too late to take Phils suggestion to the AGM but if Steve agrees with it, I intend to speak to the motion on Sat asking the AGM to agree the principle with a view of taking the wording to the first Council Meeting
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Also want to add, this has been one of the most productive threads we have had here. All debate has been quite good and it has been really refreshing to see everyone working together. Well done!

There is hope for us yet Big Grin
Andy Howie Wrote:Going back to Phils suggestion, I am waiting to hear from Steven on what he thinks about it before working out how to proceed. Unfortunately it is too late to take Phils suggestion to the AGM but if Steve agrees with it, I intend to speak to the motion on Sat asking the AGM to agree the principle with a view of taking the wording to the first Council Meeting

I am in favour of Phil's suggestions but I would point out that they deal with blind/visually impaired players only.
I would certainly support this suggestion of taking this to the council.
I have one suggested amendment and that concerns the size of the board. I would like to see the minimum size reduced to 16mm X 16mm. I personally use one this size when playing fast time controls. It is a matter of practicality for the blind player.
I would add that the blind/visually impaired player makes use of a set to suit his/her needs. The wording is that staunton style sets should be used by the braille player. A lot of older players use a merrick set. The main concern has to be the welfare of the braille player here. If they feel more comfortable using a merrick set then they should be allowed to use it.
One thing I missed in Phil's proposal (and the one I rewrote) is the use of "his" when "their" could be used to keep it gender neutral.

e.g. in (7) ... does not disadvantage their opponent ...
and in (8) ... player supplying their own assistant ...
Fully agree with you Ronnie

"Their" reads much better than "his/her"
Richardson captains previously voted against FIDE rating and strict grading order.
Without a new vote I will oppose these motions.

I am going to propose an Olympiad playing wildcard for Matthew Turner for services to CS (i.e. he plays once).

If the vote is lost he is a good candidate for non-playing captain in 2016. The 2018 Olympiad is in Georgia so Jonathan Grant might be a good captain then. If these places are taken then possibly I have had my turn for a while.
amuir Wrote:Richardson captains previously voted against FIDE rating and strict grading order.
Without a new vote I will oppose these motions.

I am going to propose an Olympiad playing wildcard for Matthew Turner for services to CS (i.e. he plays once).

If the vote is lost he is a good candidate for non-playing captain in 2016. The 2018 Olympiad is in Georgia so Jonathan Grant might be a good captain then. If these places are taken then possibly I have had my turn for a while.

Is there any possibility you might step down from your role as ID this year Andy in view of your rather shocking lack of professionalism/communication skills/candour (for want of a better word) and for the problems/unease you caused during the Olympiad selection process?

I had hoped that one or 2 excellent candidates for the ID role would step up to the plate this year but for various reasons they were unable to. This shouldn't mean that we accept an extremely poor candidate for the post.
Andy Burnett