Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
Andy Howie said..

"Robin consider this. Someone who is in a wheelchair wants to play. Are you saying they can't? We have to be careful as the organisers will fall foul of current discrimination laws never mind FIDE edicts"

I tell you what Andy, let's you and I head down to Troon chess club and you can tell them that they won't be able to hold any more chess events because ChessScotland have decided it.
Trying to sound democratic Phil Big Grin
I thought it is the council's duty to implement any motion passed by the AGM
robin moore Wrote:Andy Howie said..

"Robin consider this. Someone who is in a wheelchair wants to play. Are you saying they can't? We have to be careful as the organisers will fall foul of current discrimination laws never mind FIDE edicts"

I tell you what Andy, let's you and I head down to Troon chess club and you can tell them that they won't be able to hold any more chess events because ChessScotland have decided it.

Robin like it or not, its the law of the land. If a disabled player wants to play and are refused, the owner of the premises can be prosecuted
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I have in front of me, the minutes from the FIDE technical commission dated 6th aug.

10.Requirements on treatment of disabled chess players

10.1 (a) These guidelines will be used for all FIDE events.

Not might or may but will!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Steve and Andy,

I want you to be clear...

If this motion is passed, will Troon chess club be able to host events in the upstairs function suite (there is no lift).

If they are able to, will these events be graded by ChessScotland?
Grading by chess Scotland is a different matter. This would be a matter for CS council to decide.
And your answer to the first question?
I refer you to my previous answer. It is for CS to decide how to adapt these guidelines not me. I am not on the council. I only work for FIDE disabled committee Big Grin
Quote:Robin like it or not, its the law of the land. If a disabled player wants to play and are refused, the owner of the premises can be prosecuted

If this is the case then several tournaments with limited space/access in Scotland will cease to exist, this is madness.
Folks,

I can see the great benefit of CS being able to say to the world that we actively support players with disabilities. Now it would be good to have that as part of our constitution but I personally can't support the motion as it stands.

The motion, in it's present form, may actually hinder opportunities for disabled players rather than help them. It could close down clubs and end events. Nobody wishes that.

Would Steve and Andy be amicable to amendments to the motion pre-agm that would end those fears?