Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
And if it's only going to affect CS events, what does that mean for the ChessScotland Scottish Girls Championship held at Brotherton Castle near Montrose?
Or for that matter, CS organised coaching sessions for the Glorney, a top CS event, which were held recently at...Edinburgh Chess Club?
Are we honestly debating against the rights of Disabled players here????
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
robin moore Wrote:Or for that matter, CS organised coaching sessions for the Glorney, a top CS event, which were held recently at...Edinburgh Chess Club?

Robin,

Good to see you've finally agreed with me.

The topic needs to be debated - widely - including the agm of CS.

Which will be why the president of CS allowed the motion to go forwards and appear on the agenda.

No doubt Steve Hilton will be at the agm and willing to be questioned on his motion.

Meanwhile I point out.
(1) there were no disabled players selected to play for Scotland in the Glorney - hence disabled access was not needed for a training event.
(2) The Glorney was a FIDE rated event and therefore these guidelines should have been applied - again if there were any disabled players selected for the visiting nations. Do you have any evidence of the venue being unsuitable for the visitors? or for the Scotland players and supporters?
The point of the guidelines is pretty clear. They are to establish that a player cannot be barred because of disability. The onus is on tournament organisers to provide an alternative accommodation that is accessible for disabled players. In regards to FIDE rated events, if a disabled player was to enter such an event, and they could not provide alternative accommodation in the case of the original venue being unsuitable, then that event cannot be rated by FIDE.
The motion is perfectly legitimate and is needed to bring CS into line with FIDE on this matter.
Robin, I do know that a lot of tournament organisers do their best for disabled players, but the point is there is no legislation in writing to cover this. This motion seeks to cover this. I do think these guidelines should be adopted for local events as well as for FIDE rated events
Steve,

May I ask you to clarify some things here (for starters) please?

You said....

"In regards to FIDE rated events, if a disabled player was to enter such an event, and they could not provide alternative accommodation in the case of the original venue being unsuitable, then that event cannot be rated by FIDE."

1/ Would that mean that in the above case, a CS event, if "needed to bring CS into line with FIDE on this matter." would not be graded?

2/ Would the guys in Edinburgh be able to run their Fide rated Winter chess festival at Edinburgh chess club?

3/ How do organisers know for certain who will be entering their event and what level of disability they have when they book and pay a deposit for a venue (sometimes years in advance)?

4/ Would great clubs like Troon still be able to run the very popular Ayrshire Championship (amongst other events) and would they be allowed to have it graded by CS and listed as a Grand Prix event?
Ref Ayrshire championship held at Troon club.

Paragraph 3 of the motion states

3. All chess venues must either be accessible to all, or an acceptable alternative
venue with full supervision shall be available to those who cannot access the
nominated venue.

Sounds like disabled player (assuming disability is one that prevents access to 1st floor venue) would be allowed to play game in the analysis room at Troon (aka bar).

For once FIDE is not seeking to make their words mandatory. Paragraph 15 makes it abundantly clear that these are guidlelines that they recommend are adopted by organisers of all competitions.

It does seem rather unlikely to me that CS would be adopt a posture more Draconian than a hypothetical FIDE sanction refuse to grade the Ayrshire championship, decline some revenue and discourage the playing of chess in Scotland.
Well, let's allow Steve the opportunity to respond.
robin moore Wrote:Steve,

May I ask you to clarify some things here (for starters) please?

You said....

"In regards to FIDE rated events, if a disabled player was to enter such an event, and they could not provide alternative accommodation in the case of the original venue being unsuitable, then that event cannot be rated by FIDE."

1/ Would that mean that in the above case, a CS event, if "needed to bring CS into line with FIDE on this matter." would not be graded?

2/ Would the guys in Edinburgh be able to run their Fide rated Winter chess festival at Edinburgh chess club?

3/ How do organisers know for certain who will be entering their event and what level of disability they have when they book and pay a deposit for a venue (sometimes years in advance)?

4/ Would great clubs like Troon still be able to run the very popular Ayrshire Championship (amongst other events) and would they be allowed to have it graded by CS and listed as a Grand Prix event?

1/ The answer would be yes well that would be interpretation of the rule. What FIDE are saying is that you cannot bar someone from an event because of their disability.
2/ Unless they provide an alternative venue for disabled players. The rules are clear from FIDE venues must be accessible to all players
3/ If you read guidelines then the disabled player has to inform the organisers as to the level of their disability so that the organiser has time to make necessary arrangements.
4/ That would be a matter for CS to decide

I want to see these guidelines implemented, I do accept that there will be modifications to suit the situation in Scotland. However the purpose for these guidelines must not be diluted
Andy Howie Wrote:Are we honestly debating against the rights of Disabled players here????
We are debating the motion, Andy.

I am also puzzled about point 9. - the medical requirements.
Aren't disability and illness being confused here?
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine