Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
Greetings from Tromso (I wish my luggage could say the same, last time I checked it was still in Amsterdam!). Looks like I am going to be wearing my shoe and sandals to the GA!!

I have uploaded the Director Reports received, Motions etc

Please note I am not back until Friday evening and I really don't know how much time I am going to have to upload anything between now and then. I will try my utmost to update is any other reports come in.

If I am slow to respond to you, please forgive me.

I will update the Exec Dir report at the end of the week to cover this week as well. Too important to wait until next year

Tomorrow I have the ECU GA, meeting of Zone 1.1 Delegates, Monday thru Thursday is the GA. I will try to let you know as soon as I can who won. Speaking with Garry's people tonight, they are very confident!

ATB

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
A question on motion 1. Is it only in respect of CS organised tournaments? Presumably CS do not have the power to implement it on weekend congresses etc.
The motion states for all chess competitions. However, as Derek alludes most weekend congresses are not run by CS. Perhaps the way to address this is to have the motion apply to all events officiated at by CS listed arbiters.
Why on earth is this motion appearing on the CS Agm? Fide Regulations cover this. That means Fide events, not privately organised Scottish congress events, are liable to these type of regulations.
robin moore Wrote:Why on earth is this motion appearing on the CS Agm? Fide Regulations cover this. That means Fide events, not privately organised Scottish congress events, are liable to these type of regulations.

As I understand it these regulations have been in force for FIDE rated competitions for some time. However, many organisers are unaware of them and their requirements.

Add the end of this motion there is a strong recommendation that organisers of all tournaments adopt these guidelines.

This sounds like some good advice coming out of FIDE. It would be wrong to totally ignore these guidelines and it would be equally wrong to adopt them verbatim without discussion. Doing so would , for example, commit organisers to having a 3 metre space between rows of tables if a disabled player (any disability) enters their tournament.
Phil has it pretty much on the money. We can make it policy for cs events and strongly reccom2nd for everything else. Robin are you questioning Steves right to being up a motion?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Thanks for clarifying, Andy. I thought that would be the case.
Andy, of course Steve has a right to raise this motion. I am concerned where we draw the line at on events that this motion would cover.

I will give you a simple example. The Ayr congress used to be held in the aviator suite at Prestwick airport. One of the reasons it was moved was because the organiser was concerned about the small flight of roughly six stairs that led into the tournament hall which hampered disabled access.

All independent congress organisers I am aware of try their best to help players with disabilities. If we try to enforce conditions it may affect the future of events.
Andy Howie Wrote:Phil has it pretty much on the money. We can make it policy for cs events and strongly reccom2nd for everything else. Robin are you questioning Steves right to being up a motion?

And this is esentially FIDE's line, they have introduced it for the events they control and recommended it for all congress organisers. That's right all congress organisers (paragraph 15 in the motion).

One good way to bring FIDE's guidelines to the attention of the independent organisers who run most of Scotland's events is to put their guidelines into a motion for discussion at the CS agm.

Strategy seems to be working - well done Steve Hilton (Proposer) and Andy Howie (Seconder)
What would this mean for Edinburgh Chess Club? Their premises are in a listed building and installing e.g. a lift or a wheelchair-accessible toilet is not possible.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine