Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
robin moore Wrote:The motion, in it's present form, may actually hinder opportunities for disabled players rather than help them. It could close down clubs and end events.
Why is that, given that the motion only applies to CS events?
Derek Howie Wrote:Why is that, given that the motion only applies to CS events?
What he said... Big Grin I'm really not understanding the confusion with this motion.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
+1
As the motion stands at the moment, clubs like Troon and Edinburgh will not be able to host ChessScotland events now or in the future.
My tuppence worth is that I don't see any problems with adopting the guidelines.

I personally can think of various ways to overcome the various obstacles to disabled play in the venues I've been to.

The concern about venues could relate to the 2 Disability acts which came in around 2004 and 2010.

As far as I can see, only new build are required to be wholly accessible from the time of the act and all older commercial and professional premises are required to make a "reasonable attempt" to make them accessible.

So old buildings without a lift, for example, would not be required to install one as that would be unreasonable, so I've been told.
Taking the specific example given of Troon's premises there is nothing in the Acts or FIDE guidelines which would prohibit any event taking place in the upstairs lounge, especially as the Railwaymens Assoc. whose premises they are, hold events there as well and are subject to the legislation too.

This does seem, to me, to be a mountain being made out of a molehill and I would think it would not take any time at all to adopt the guidelines as ChessScotland guidelines too.
John wrote...

"Taking the specific example given of Troon's premises there is nothing in the Acts or FIDE guidelines which would prohibit any event taking place in the upstairs lounge".

Are you sure this concurs with this part of the motion?

"3. All chess venues must either be accessible to all, or an acceptable alternative
venue
with full supervision shall be available to those who cannot access the
nominated
venue. "
I’ll double John’s ‘tuppence worth’. Fourpence says his interpretation is right. Indeed, I think it’s an exaggeration to classify this ‘difficulty’ as a ‘molehill’. Read and understand the language in which the Motion is couched.
There are lots of good points made by various people in this thread.
In terms of adapting these guidelines for CS purposes. That would be for CS to decide.
In terms of FIDE rated events, they cannot be changed.
Steve,

The motion is effectively Fide guidelines that are based on holding events in modern premises. To adopt this verbatim to the CS constitution would be wrong as we have many clubs, congresses and events that are in older and occasionally historic premises throughout our country.

If a few amendments were made pre-agm to the motion, I feel it would be helpful.
Robin, I see no obstacle in that guideline for any premises.

I would also point out that it will have no effect on the vast majority of chess players in Scotland and would only affect the tournament organiser and any disabled player requiring special needs.

As this would be on a case for case basis with, one would assume, a willingness on both sides to reach a compromise I still cannot see any reason not to adopt these guidelines.

It's not as if tournament organisers are going out of their way to dismiss the vast ranks of disabled players trying to enter the tournaments already.

I have never heard of any player being refused entry to an event due to disability so I think adopting this merely formalises the position that tournament organisers in Scotland already take.