Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad
Douglas Bryson Wrote:15th at Folkestone 1933 but maybe not what you were looking for.

How about percentage of points available as a marker of success? Istanbul 2000 might be best of modern era. That would also be highest finish at 30th post 1992 onwards when you have the influx of all the ex-Soviet countries.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/sco_tea.html">http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/sco_tea.html</a><!-- m -->

As always Douglas you are the man with the stats Wink Thank you
The last round draw can make or break a team's final standings.

So a tough draw against 25th seeds Greece makes things very difficult for the Open team, who have fought very hard to get to this position.

On paper the Women's team have an easier task against Sri Lanka, but they may be better than their grading suggest. However a good result will take the team to a much higher final position.

I have been impressed with the sheer determination of the players in both teams in many of the games.
Alastair White Wrote:...
I have been impressed with the sheer determination of the players in both teams in many of the games.

Open team seeded 66th and finished 83rd
Ladies seeded 52 and finish 56th.

There was a lack of youthfulness in our open team.
John Shaw and Andrew Greet both produced marginally positive rating performances.
Colin drew the short straw on 1 and struggled. The draw with Mamedyarov was a highlight however.
I am sure Alan will come away from this event disappointed with his performance. Personally I believe he has potential to make IM but too many games here were lost in final hour of play from decent positions this time.
It was great to see Roddy McKay play and he got off to a flying start but flagged towards the end.

In the ladies I am sure Keti must have struggled to sleep after the round 10 debacle. Prior to his she was cruising. I don't really understand why she chose to play in the ladies - a weaker event - as she is good enough to be in our open team.
Elaine had a good event although I was amazed when she repeated the line she played against me in last years SNCL :p .
From board 3 onwards we struggled

Overall it takes a leap of faith too far for me to interpret our performance here as a success. We can do better than this. I also note that 2 of our best performers (Keti and Andrew) did not develop their chess in the Scottish system. Some analysis of why we are not producing 2400 players is needed. I do not accept the talent is not there. Possibly our investment training Jonathan and Andrew as trainers will help? Personally I hope we will see more young faces make the team next time.
Which young players do you propose George? One would have thought that any aspiring internationalists would try their hand at the European Team first.
British Eurosport 2 - Cycling Arctic Race of Norway
This features Tromso and is on several times today and will show some of the scenery.
I will be at the AGM to answer questions on the Olympiad.
A win or loss means a 15 point change in final position.
We were 27th after round 7. 68th after round 10. An easy pairing in round 11 would have made us jump to 53rd not 83rd.
Perhaps we need sponsorship to get Rowson to play.
amuir Wrote:I will be at the AGM to answer questions on the Olympiad.

A report here would be appreciated, Andy.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Full report will be in CS magazine later
Alan Tate Wrote:Which young players do you propose George? One would have thought that any aspiring internationalists would try their hand at the European Team first.

I still class you as young Alan Wink

To be honest I am not sure 2 years from now if we have anyone < 30 who will be as strong as anyone who played in Tromso. We have never been able to repeat what happened in terms of title player production as happened in post the Fischer era (Rowson & Dearing excepted). What are we doing differently now?
McQueen, Sreeves, Green, Berry all can still improve. Joe Redpath has potential but I am not sure the inclination. Murad Abdullah...who knows? Beyond that I am not sure. I apologies to the many other young talents that do not come immediately to mind.
George Neave Wrote:
Alan Tate Wrote:Which young players do you propose George? One would have thought that any aspiring internationalists would try their hand at the European Team first.

I still class you as young Alan Wink

To be honest I am not sure 2 years from now if we have anyone < 30 who will be as strong as anyone who played in Tromso. We have never been able to repeat what happened in terms of title player production as happened in post the Fischer era (Rowson & Dearing excepted). What are we doing differently now?
McQueen, Sreeves, Green, Berry all can still improve. Joe Redpath has potential but I am not sure the inclination. Murad Abdullah...who knows? Beyond that I am not sure. I apologies to the many other young talents that do not come immediately to mind.

What about OLD talents? I have decided to try to gain the FM title, then the IM title, within the next 2 years and hope to make it into the Scotland team for either/or both the Euro Teams and the Olympiad. Smile Let's see if any of our 'young' talents can beat me to it!
Judging by my endgame technique I'd call me young too...

£10 says Andy Burnett gets to 2300 before anyone else Wink