Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Reports
This one is hopefully just for discussions on the events taking place over the board in Tromso, with a few topical points of interest thrown in.

The old thread can have the rest.....
I am not able to follow events in Tromso very closely, but best of luck to all the Scottish players. If any happen to read this, you should definitely take the cable car. Try to get to the Sami museum, it is quite a walk but well worth it. Finally, remember to find out the price before buying anything Smile
Matt
Good start yesterday. All the team needs to do is keep that up and we've got the Olympiad Champions. Don't see why not.
What might have been today... Boards 1 & 2 both looked to be doing very well against top opposition while 2 & 4 remind us how there is nothing more important than tactical precision in chess.
Yesterday's match was nothing to do with chess level but was all about giving our opponents too much respect (bad time management was one consequence of this). At least we know now that we can compete with the big boys so next time will hopefully be different.
Home from work and seems we have had some real fireworks in men's match today. So unlucky not to have a famous victory here. My endgame play is clearly not up to scratch as I don't understand why marching king back to b2 does not win for Alan. I need Fritz to help me with the McKay game.
Garry has his own daily bulletin, find one of our own mentioned.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kasparov2014.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/TeamKasparovTromsoDaily_01.pdf">http://kasparov2014.com/wp-content/uplo ... ily_01.pdf</a><!-- m -->
George Neave Wrote:Home from work and seems we have had some real fireworks in men's match today. So unlucky not to have a famous victory here. My endgame play is clearly not up to scratch as I don't understand why marching king back to b2 does not win for Alan. I need Fritz to help me with the McKay game.

Couldn't black just keep his Rook on the a-file if white tried that; and keep going back and forth Ra1->Ra6->Ra1?

Edit: having looked on a tablebase Alan's position is a draw. Even though Fritz gives white a +6 Smile)
Think even I know that ending (he says with Dvoretsky open on his lap).

You can go to b2, the rook moves up to a6. If you now run up the a-file, it drops back to a1 and, does indeed, start checking.

The interesting thing is the way that the h6 pawn fails to make a difference.
:bash: