Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Teams
robin moore Wrote:The regulations were eventually published a few weeks later. The organisers were not providing free accommodation (as normally happens) for a head of delegation or a coach (unless they had a full Fide trainer qualification). At a conservative guesstimate it would therefore cost CS £4K plus to send these officials.

I could be wrong but I think this is a change in regulations brought in by FIDE some time ago. If so that takes it out of the hands of host nation. Andy (Howie) can you confirm or deny please.

So now we can see Andy's Muir's cunning plan - he will acquire his FIDE training qualification in the next day or two.

No Mr Burnett you can't get CS to pay for half of his transport only - it has to be a return ticket.
Phil Thomas Wrote:
robin moore Wrote:I could be wrong but I think this is a change in regulations brought in by FIDE some time ago. If so that takes it out of the hands of host nation. Andy (Howie) can you confirm or deny please.

Been speaking about this for the best part of 4 years now. This was brought in last year.... Maybe now we can get the FIDE coaching scheme going...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
How would we get the FIDE coaching scheme going? I've never heard anything about this being needed for head of delegation/ coach roles?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_2014/Trainers/FTS-TRO_2014-Results_Letter_1.pdf">http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... tter_1.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Well, here is the first guy from Scotland I believe to be awarded the title.

Strangely, the new regulation appears only to affect the World Youth event (at junior level). Not sure about adult events.
hamish olson Wrote:How would we get the FIDE coaching scheme going? I've never heard anything about this being needed for head of delegation/ coach roles?

Both Alex McF and I have mentioned this on numerous occasions. To get free accommodation HOD and coaches have to be licensed by FIDE. Most events have a seminar so as long as the event has that we can get round it until we have it up and running here
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie posted,

"Both Alex McF and I have mentioned this on numerous occasions".

I must admit I can't recall this but am happy to accept it is correct.

The CS AGM is upon us shortly and this type of change in regulations at a World level for junior (or adult) events would suggest the need for a motion worthy of debate. Unfortunately, according to the CS constitution, the time window for logging AGM motions has passed.

Why don't we simply give this World Youth event a miss for a few years until things have settled down both here financially and at Fide?

We have loads of great national and international (junior) events to keep us occupied that don't encroach into this Fide money making scheme.
Well if the person we want to win wins, fees are going to be reduced / scrapped which will help
In case you missed it here are some words from Jonathan Grant - who is currently at the Olympiad and reporting on the Ladies team. Although not specifically stated (by Jonathan below) it seems that the new rules will apply to adult events too - from July 1st to coincide with introductory date for 2014 revision of the the laws of chess (which FIDE do every 4 years)

I checked my e-mails on return as Grivas indicated he would send the results from the first Training Seminar which had finished earlier in the day. Three of us, two strong Icelandic players and myself, were awarded the FIDE Trainer Title whilst others would get the FI, NI or DI titles. Designed for a spread of abilities the seminars contained thought provoking material even for GM Jon Arnason the strongest of the attendees. Definitely worth doing especially as FIDE becomes stricter about only licensed trainers being allowed free accommodation and access to the playing hall at its events. Although the new regulations were announced over 3 years ago many of the nations’ trainers seem oblivious of the impact of the 1 July regulations. One for the IJD to be thinking about in advance of the World Youth et al.
JonathanIMGrant
Wilhelm Steinitz
Had a look back. We were first told about this when Geoff Borg visited at the Hamilton Scottish!
Whilst accepting that we are stronger in our junior sections than these recent competitions would suggest, there is no getting away from the fact that the results in the Stokes and Gilbert were awful. I think we need to look seriously at our coaching & selection procedures. An element of free coaching to juniors is something that is offered in most sports and pastimes. ChessScotland I feel should be doing more to encourage larger get togethers of promising juniors (not just the elite) and have the top players/coaches on hand to bring them on. This should be written into the contracts of top adult players when they are chosen to represent Scotland (a pay back if you like). Junior development in chess is not currently affordable to kids outwith one or two of the bigger clubs. Online coaching is helping the few that are willing to pay, but not many. We need to broaden good quality coaching out to the wider chess community and we need this change to come quickly.