Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Downloads
Should be available for members only?
That's quite a good idea. But I think it would need a motion to the AGM.

I'm not sure how feasible it is technically. But if is done for game downloads, perhaps it could be done for some other facilities at the same time.

And there are issues concerning, for example, access by journalists and by players in other countries - it's one thing to put pressure on stingy Scots to join Chess Scotland, it's another matter to hide ourselves away from the rest of the world.
Donald Wilson Wrote:- it's one thing to put pressure on stingy Scots to join Chess Scotland,

I don't think its a question of being stingy its a question on what people want and get from chess. People already pay membership fees to their clubs who in turn pay fees to chess Scotland for affiliation. If chess Scotland want to illicit more money from punters it should be done more proactively. I agree game downloads could be seen as a potential revenue raiser but I don't see how you can do this due to the question of ownership of material. I certainly wouldn't be happy if was playing at the highest level ( which I certainly don't) and finding that chess Scotland or any other organisation was selling my games. My games belong to me and my opponent.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If Chess Scotland want to encourage a membership fee, there are plenty of ways to do it , such as a school affiliation fee which would allow schools amongst other things to have access to Chess Scotland resources such as Chess Scotland affiliated chess clubs and leagues. An online chess playing website run by Chess Scotland website would also accommodate remote playing chess clubs and allow people to playing as teams and as individuals from one end of Scotland to another. I'm sure players presently not taking out a membership would possibly have a change of heart if they saw tangible benefits for them rather than the intangible benefit of supporting Chess in Scotland.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:
Donald Wilson Wrote:- it's one thing to put pressure on stingy Scots to join Chess Scotland,

I don't think its a question of being stingy its a question on what people want and get from chess. People already pay membership fees to their clubs who in turn pay fees to chess Scotland for affiliation. If chess Scotland want to illicit more money from punters it should be done more proactively. I agree game downloads could be seen as a potential revenue raiser but I don't see how you can do this due to the question of ownership of material. I certainly wouldn't be happy if was playing at the highest level ( which I certainly don't) and finding that chess Scotland or any other organisation was selling my games. My games belong to me and my opponent.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If Chess Scotland want to encourage a membership fee, there are plenty of ways to do it , such as a school affiliation fee which would allow schools amongst other things to have access to Chess Scotland resources such as Chess Scotland affiliated chess clubs and leagues. An online chess playing website run by Chess Scotland website would also accommodate remote playing chess clubs and allow people to playing as teams and as individuals from one end of Scotland to another. I'm sure players presently not taking out a membership would possibly have a change of heart if they saw tangible benefits for them rather than the intangible benefit of supporting Chess in Scotland.

Chess Scotland doesn't have enough money - the site is begging donations to subsidise junior events just now. We should do all we can do avoid running the organisation in a way where it cannot operate without reliance on such donations. It follows we should charge where we can. I am much happier to give when I am getting something I value in return. Chessbase doesn't give databases away for free. Chess is one of the cheapest pass-times I can think of. Put the membership fee up to cover basic operating costs then make sure the core product is as attractive as possibly by including such benefits. This is a "no brainer" for me.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:Chess Scotland doesn't have enough money - the site is begging donations to subsidise junior events just now. We should do all we can do avoid running the organisation in a way where it cannot operate without reliance on such donations.

If Chess Scotland doesn't have enough money as suggested then an urgent review of how existing monies are allocated should be top priority. This is not a criticism of existing policies but there is a reasonable amount of monies coming in. If we cannot afford to host the commonwealth or send international teams then we should acknowledge that and think about raising money for causes. An increase of Grading fees has been muted as well as rumours of compulsory membership. My own idea of incorporating a chess playing web sites or running an account on chess.com would be relatively inexpensive and would show a justifiable return . For example an increase of just two members would pay for a chess.com account and there are plenty of chess playing web sites available with bolt-on's. Again this would show a tangible return for a membership fee if only chess Scotland members could access that. Fund raising events by our top players and regional leagues could also help. Non-paying grass roots players would more encouragement to pay more. I'm sure most clubs have a hard core of players who are not members. I would also suggest Chess Scotland give themselves a much higher profile of themselves by promoting themselves if different activities.
If there are insufficient funds then let us all fix it before it becomes a dire necessity before dire measures are required.
George Neave Wrote:Should be available for members only?

I agree with this - nice idea!

Ianbrownlee Wrote:I agree game downloads could be seen as a potential revenue raiser but I don't see how you can do this due to the question of ownership of material. I certainly wouldn't be happy if was playing at the highest level ( which I certainly don't) and finding that chess Scotland or any other organisation was selling my games. My games belong to me and my opponent.

You only have to look at, for example, the ChessBase mega database or Chess Publishing ebooks/pgns to realise the potential for this.

I like the concept in general, but there is also a minor benefit to making the game downloads a member-only feature... Two of my opponents from the World Junior actually used the CS game downloads prepare against me as I had no recent games in the Chessbase database - just a point that this may (or may not) disadvantage Scottish juniors (and adults, of course).