Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindores Abbey
Do we not think the above tournament should be a front page story?

Considering the World Champion, a former world champion and a super grandmaster are coming to our shores to play chess that we shouldn't be shilling this for all its worth?

Equipment loan? Banners for the event? Contact for future sponsorship?

If CS have did this already, great. If not, it's a COMPLETE no brainer. And irrespective, I'd be putting this everywhere I could!

https://lindoresabbeydistillery.com/ches...ournament/
I guess CS hasn't had anything to do with this!? Great idea, of course, and it seems to be truly happening as many other reputable non chess sources, including the Scottish field have announced it. It has certainly hit me as a complete surprise. No spoof I hope.
It is not a spoof.

I have already been in communication with, and visited, Lindores regarding this, some fine points to add and then I'll post details/information on our news page.
(27-04-2019, 11:55 AM)Jim Webster Wrote: It is not a spoof.

I have already been in communication with, and visited, Lindores regarding this, some fine points to add and then I'll post details/information on our news page.

Perfect! Smile
(27-04-2019, 06:08 PM)paulblair21 Wrote:
(27-04-2019, 11:55 AM)Jim Webster Wrote: It is not a spoof.

Perfect! Smile

see now: https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-and-whiskey

Who's the unknown fourth player!? Great chess ahead, whoever it may be!
My guess is that the fourth invitee was Nakamura but he has declined. I assume that they are looking to expand their whisky exports and India, China and the US seems to have the main markets covered. For the record, I am very happy to spearhead the sales drive in Somerset if they still need a fourth player ?
Cider and a whisky chaser. That could work Smile
Just had another flick through the Lindores website and noticed that they are promoting their 'spirit'. It has been aged in oak casks for 12 month so they can't call it whisky. That makes marketing a lot more difficult so might explain why they have come up with this creative chess idea. I hope it works out for them.
Do we know who the 4th player is yet? I still haven't heard anything I consider 100% certain.
Would also be good to see the note in the CS news section promised by our president above, though if there still isn't clarity on the 4th player perhaps that's inevitably stalling things. Any progress? This is certainly a good news story for Chess in Scotland and it seems that CS has been part of this success story.
I am still waiting on updated details of the program of events for the two days. It changed last week, from the previous version, and are now awaiting confirmation from the formal organisers.

I will publish on the news page as soon as possible.

Last I heard regarding 4th player was simply due a delay in confirmation. 
PS: Matt's guess is incorrect :-)