Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting
The principal reason behind the proposed fees for grading junior games is to have the discussion.

For the 2011-12 season the breakdown of results processed for grading was as follows –

The adult results were:

Congress 6,574
Club 3,195
Club Allegro 2,084
Outside 1,441
Allegro 2,260
League 7,524
League Xtra 1,038
League Alleg 1,350

So that is 19,772 "adult" results for the Main List, 5,694 for the allegro list.

Over 18,000 junior results were processed - at no charge. Incidentally, the last time there was any charge for a secondary event was in 2009. The fee rules were also changed then – i.e. if 75% of an event which contains J14-J18 is under 14 then it would be free.

"Adult" games includes juniors playing in such “adult” events.

There are two results in a game.

I would like to see some sort of nominal value put on the grading of junior events in an official way. This would be useful for a few reasons, including applications for funding junior events where a cost breakdown is required.

As has been expressed elsewhere, there is a feeling that there is no benefit to junior organisations or schools to affiliate to Chess Scotland. At the moment the grading service and other available services and benefits are provided free (with the exception of insurance). Does this make them worthless or just taken for granted?

By introducing junior grading fees to the list of fees, I would perhaps be opening the door to free or reduced rate junior grading being one of the benefits of affiliation to Chess Scotland. However, I would consider this to be a matter for discussion by the junior board.

No income from junior fees is included in the proposed budget for 2014-15. The sum of £556 is the total attributable to income from adult allegro events.

It is not my intention to actually charge these junior fees in the coming season (2014-15) but I would like to see the discussion take place and an amount included in the fees list. Essentially all fees would be waived.

If I were to continue in the role of finance director I would propose publishing a list of the beneficiaries of this and the amounts in my annual report to the AGM.

I do hope we can have a healthy, sensible discussion on Sunday about fees and spending in general.

Gary McPheator Wrote:It does seem a rather strange time to introduce a grading fee for under 14's when there is possibly going to be a root and branch change to how Chess Scotland is funded. Would it not be prudent to keep the present system of fees as they are until it is decided whether to go with a new funding model or not?

The two are not mutually exclusive and I anticipate the question of whether all juniors would be required to take compulsory membership in order to have games graded will be raised.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread