Poll: Would you be interested in playing in this chess festival?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am over 1800 and would be very interested in playing in Group B
57.69%
15 57.69%
I am under 1800 and would be very interested in playing in Group C
19.23%
5 19.23%
No I am not interested (please comment why thanks Smile )
23.08%
6 23.08%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Winter Chess Festival
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Andy B - Time controls will be restricted with it being FIDE rated but probably 40 moves for 2 hours plus half an hour finish. And no, the 'norm aspirants' have not been decided. Haven't got that far yet, but any interested in being a 'norm aspirant' or is an interested titled player please get in touch. There is also the issue of needing 3 different nationalities.

OK it appears from the early indications that the 'Group B' option is much more popular than 'Group C'. Therefore it probably makes sense to switch these around i.e. Group B will now be a 20 player swiss event at 10am - FIDE rated with a slight increase in prizefund.

'Group C' may need some alterations to increase interest - possibly a £55 entry fee with 1st - 250, 2nd - 100, GP - 75. Remember there would only be spaces for 10 players in this section now and it would be an all play all in the afternoon. Financially speaking, such an event would barely cover its own costs, so would not be pivotal if there was not interest in event, but it would be nice to see it running.
Unfortunately due to the lack of interest in 'Group C' this event could no longer help subsidise other costs and therefore a restructuring of the entry fees is required:
Norm Aspirants - £200
FMs - £50
This may seem expensive for the norm aspirants but my understanding is (now) that this is a normal rate for closed norm tournaments such as the slick events down South. And of course as others, like Mr Tate, have mentioned is much cheaper than going to play in a similar event abroad.

Messages In This Thread