Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Election Results
If I could just chip in with my experience of how things are handled in the political party to which I belong.

Proxy votes - an absolute no-no.

Motions and amendments - voted solely on by those present at the branch AGM/national Conference.

Elections - branch office bearers - voted solely on by those present at the branch AGM.

Elections - national office bearers or election candidates (for MP or MSP) .
This is the relevant case for CS office bearer elections.

Here, the norm is to have a 'hustings' meeting, followed by a vote.
You can either cast your vote at the hustings, or by post.
The key thing is that the postal ballot papers are not sent out until after the hustings.
This is to avoid the situation that the election has already been decided on name recognition of the candidate and then we find the candidate cannot string two coherent sentences together, or make a meaningful response to an off-the-cuff question.
The candidates are usually allowed a one-page A4 "manifesto" which is sent out along with the postal ballot papers. A begging letter for donations to the party usually accompanies these.

Experience has also come up with the additional rules:
The "manifesto" must not include endorsements from other people.
No other communication must be sent to the members voting.
Phone and in-person canvassing is allowed and candidates are given equal access to the relevant membership list to keep this fair.
(I was once phone canvassed by a candidate's father, which I thought was sweet, but didn't impress me)

I should add that in the case of an uncontested election, e.g. to be the party candidate for a "no-hope" seat, members still have the yes/no accept/reject option.

No system is perfect, of course. I know people who can give the most entertaining, witty and erudite speech without the aid of notes, yet are chronically incapable of arriving at a pre-agreed place on time.

I offer this as a template for CS, without re-inventing the wheel.
Since this is the 21st century, perhaps we should include e-voting as an alternative to postal voting given above.

Kind regards,
Alan
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

Messages In This Thread