Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Candidates
When I took the Gillespies team to Belfast in the UK schools competition I was shocked by just how economically poor the bits we saw appeared to be. It made me wonder at what they were fighting over and whether the 'winners' would simply inherit a ghost town, from which all the young talent will have emigrated.

It sometimes seems to me that that the less there is the more we fight over the crumbs.

Seems to apply our chess world as well.

Walter made the point that the 'judiciary' (standards committee) should be wholly independent of the executive by not having any members in common. I would totally agree, that is a no brainer except for the problem that there are rarely enough volunteers to fill all positions and the wearing of two hats is a common solution. It has occurred frequently in the past - be it within selection committees or when organizers from one body become directors while still representing the other organization. Without enough volunteers such situations are bound to arise and generally most people have enough good sense to know which hat they are wearing.

I think we must learn to trust the judgement of those that have look at the facts whatever the situation. In most cases not to do so simply does not standup to close scrutiny; driven not by the facts rather by a desire to match the facts to a particular conspiracy theory. It may be you do not have all the facts and those that you do have only come from one source. Be honest with yourself and ask what exactly do I know rather then what is it that I believe.

I am sure people have made mistakes but that is what people do do - especially when put under pressure. So rather than issue abuse and then shout "aha" when they slip up - politely point out the error of their ways and either volunteer to help or step back.

Messages In This Thread