Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Candidates
Quote:In Vietnam, proxy voting was used to increase turnout. Presently, proxy voting is illegal, but it has nonetheless been occurring since before 1989. It is estimated to contribute about 20% to voter turnout, and has been described as "a convenient way to fulfill one's duty, avoid possible risks, and avoid having to participate directly in the act of voting". It is essentially a compromise between the party-state, which wants to have high turnouts as proof of public support, and voters who do not want to go to the polling stations.
In the Soviet Union, proxy voting was also illegal but done in order to increase turnout figures.

Wards of Hanoi - Google Books. Books.google.com. 2006. ISBN 978-981-230-341-7. Retrieved 2010-03-18.

There are many possible reasons for a turnout of 26 from a membership of 572. Although this was an improvement on the 14 who attended in 2010, which was oddly a year after 40 people attended. It would be interesting to understand why the 2009 number failed to be built upon and indeed dropped off so dramatically. Apathy, political or other has been mentioned, as have things that had gone on in the past and are going on in the present. There may also be those who feel it makes no difference whether they attend or not because the big hitters with the proxy votes will dictate what happens.

I should say that I have been to the last two AGM’s and some council meetings in between and while the proxy sword has been brandished by those armed with it, I have yet to see proxy votes used for more than sabre rattling purposes. However, is it right to have no limit to the number of proxy votes one person can wield?

With around 287 proxy votes in my back pocket I can save everyone a Saturday and just let you all know what will be happening in the next year. I expect there will be some constitutional changes to allow me to retain power indefinitely.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread