Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Moderation
Quote:David Deary wrote: Why has a post been removed from this thread? Unless I imagined it, there was another post on this thread.

I am beginning to get tired at the excessive level of moderation on this forum. In the recent past, topics have disappeared and posts deleted without any consultation or communication. In my view, It’s another reason that this forum is dead compared to the old one. It is odd that personal attacks are allowed to stand on this ‘public’ forum against certain posters and legitimate points that cannot be construed as an attack are removed.

I would ask the moderators to seriously consider whether they are applying the forum rules linked below.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=413">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=413</a><!-- l -->

But there has been consultation and communication, just not necessarily such which has been made public. And why would we actually do that? Have we really removed anything if a discussion on removing it (specifically) is left for all to see? And precisely the reason I sent you an email was to answer your query above, without taking the discussion off topic by responding in it. Perhaps the forum is dead compared to the old one, I wouldn't really know having barely been involved with the old one. It's difficult to make the causal connection as to why that might be, however, except to state that I haven't received any complaints regarding moderation from anyone who has not already been an active participant on the forum; and hence must conclude that the lack of participation has its roots elsewhere. Might I suggest, in fact, that it's more likely people are disillusioned with the forum because of the petty, infantile bickering that predominates on many discussions, irrespective of how much time passes? Something which this "excessive" moderation - as you put it - is trying hard to fix.

I also should point out that I neither want to nor believe that I am directing policy on here. It is a personal opinion of mine that an organisation like Chess Scotland will do itself considerable harm if it is to be seen to do nothing in light of some of the diatribe some people have posted on here since my joining. Nonetheless, if the powers that be wish to change the way things operate from top to bottom - I will happily comply with any such change so long as it is legal. And I genuinely mean that without reserve, for people continually questioning why things are done as they are is tiring and time consuming, and I scarcely have time for it. One of the problems with moderating is that in almost all cases someone gets a response that they don't like. You are perfectly entitled to disagree, and indeed to privately voice that disagreement to me or the other moderators (or anyone else who takes your fancy), but ultimately it's not a trial by jury here - someone has to make as objective a decision as they can. We have the unenviable job of keeping order around here, and in so doing some people become annoyed at us along the way. It's not personal for me, I try very hard to treat things impartially.

In any case, you are within your rights to think otherwise of my intentions. But I do think we should discuss the way the forum is run in here, along with any suggested changes to it, however radical...

Messages In This Thread