Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Chess Championships 2013
Hi Mathew.

"But there are a significant number of twenty somethings who are committed enough to want
to spend a week in Andorra playing chess."

And that seems to be the problem. There are dozens are talented under 25's but they all seem
to be banging their heads on their ceiling. They cannot get through it.
(and a piss up in Andora is not going to do much is it?)

And this is not recent.
I've seen loads of really good and promising players suddenly STOP!
Joe Redpath, at one time I would have put £1,000 on him becoming a GM.
(Still could, he just needs re-kindle that bright flame that made him fall in love with the game again.)

We use to have our good players prorgressing. Motwani, McNab and Condie.

Something somewhere is going and has gone wrong.
Is their natural talent being coached out them....by who?

I have to blame the computer and misue and abuse of it.

I wonder how times in the recent Scottish analysis room an interesting position arose and one or both
of the players shrugged their shoulders and said 'I'll look at it tonight with Fritz?' and off they go
to have an ice cream and chase some piece of skirt.

Good chess players would stay with that position till it has been squeezed dry and have complete faith
in their ability not to even check their analysis with a computer.

It's either computers and how these lads are using them or the Scottish Grading System.

There is nothing wrong with the Scottish Grading System. It's perfect...spot on.
Maybe if it was as rigged and as unbalanced as the English system then we too could have
masses of falsely higher graded players and the Scottish players may work harder at OTB study

Dougie.

Plan A:

I'll organise a weekend training session for the top 25 promising players. No computers!
I'll have no trouble getting 25 - the country is flooded with them all waiting to reach their 2300 peak
and go no higher.

Next grading list you slip them an extra couple of hundred GP's.
They will think 'Hey this OTB studying with a thing called a book really works."

(None of them will think this is odd or question their grading rise, if they are stupid enough to
think that a computer can help them improve at chess then you could sell these clowns anything.)

They will turn off their wee electronic toys and start studying Chess. - just like you did.
Just like Motwani, Mcnab and Muir did, just like the current Scottish Champion Roddy McKay did.

It is the only way we are going to get these guys sorted out.

Messages In This Thread