Poll: Should the Richardson Cup be FIDE rated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
89.66%
26 89.66%
No
3.45%
1 3.45%
I am not fussed either way
6.90%
2 6.90%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Richardson Cup be FIDE rated?
Douglas Bryson Wrote:The SNCL made the decision to stop rating at their AGM at the end of last season.

Was this a decision by the clubs or was it by players? Was it overwhelming or close? I dont suppose there are minutes of the discussion or the vote recorded.

It was by the clubs only involved in the top division, and the vote was very close. I think it was something like 3-2 with abstentions. As the captain of the Edinburgh Uni team last year, I cast our vote as an abstention purely because we had individuals both for and against FIDE rating it so I didn't feel I could vote either way on behalf of our team.

With regards to the Richardson being FIDE rated, of course it should. If you want to protect your rating, then don't play in it and let the rest of us enjoy having a FIDE event. While you have to respect the views of certain players, surely every chess player is equal with regards to an opinion on rating an event, so the majority should prevail unless there is a serious reason why not. If the reason is losing selection because you can't hold your FIDE (speculation of course), and instead of not playing trying to change the rules of an event, then that makes me totally sick. Two words. Man up.

Messages In This Thread