Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recognition for Chess in Scotland
I must disagree with Andrew Greet and Keith Ruxton.

Chess is a sport let me be clear at the start. Even within the current definition of a sport that is being used, Chess can be classified as a sport, because it uses the mind and the mind is the most important part of the body, because without it other sports could not be played.

I do not accept the argument that if chess were classified as a sport, then it would lose its educational funding, Other sports such as football, Rugby, athletics, swimming are funded through the educational budget as well as through sports Scotland so why not chess?
What Alex McFarlane says about the sports council being reluctant to fund chess through them if it were a sport, could in my view put that council on tricky legal grounds with the IOC & with discrimination laws.

We are already at a disadvantage because chess is not regarded as highly in a cultural sense as it is in Eastern Europe where Chess for the blind, is funded by the country's paralympic committee. and we have moved our olympiad to an odd numbered year to avoid clashes with the paralympics.

I have also been been told by MSP'S that a sport has to be recognised by all four sports councils and parliaments. What is the point of sport being devolved then?
Shinty is not played anywhere in the uk apart from here but is funded by sports Scotland

Classification as a sport is vital if our players are to be able to compete on level terms with other nations
There is one final point that we can use is that there is great integrational value in chess ie, the ablebodied and disabled can play together on level terms

Best Wishes
Steve Hilton
Secretary General
IBCA

Messages In This Thread