Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Olympiad
Incremental Time Controls:

I was introduced to these five years ago when I first played in the Euro Senior Teams. Since then I have played them a lot, in various National and International tournaments, and I like them. The biggest difference I have found is that suddenly long-term positional and endgame play becomes very important—prior to that many games were decided by sudden tactics and/or blunders, often on or around the time control. I have had to modify my preparation and play accordingly.

A couple of days ago I witnessed the unedifying spectacle of the two strongest players in the world playing a game in Sao Paulo without increments where Carlsen made a horrific blunder and Aronian failed to spot it. Is that what chess is all about? Not for me—I would rather see a well-played endgame coming down to its logical conclusion with correct play from both sides. But now doubt some of you will disagree. Whether you do or not, the fact is that increments are here to stay, so you had better be prepared to start sharpening your endgame technique. And also to be able to ‘close out’ games and be prepared for your opponent to do likewise, given the opportunity to ‘think’ and ‘analyse’.

Messages In This Thread