Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Olympiad
Donald Wilson Wrote:I wonder - would I cause any offense if I said that the number of congresses in Scotland that Joe Redpath attends is pretty small*, not enough to justify not experimenting with incremental time controls?

* I was thinking of writing "zero" rather than "pretty small", but some clever-clogs might have replied that if the Big Bang theory is correct the whole universe started from zero, so zero may not be a pretty small number.

A tiny bit of offence* Donald. Tongue Joe does mention "domestic events" rather than congresses and he plays Nat. league/local league/Richardson etc.

I much prefer the non-incremental controls: if my opponent uses up most of their time dealing with my dodgy attacks then they shouldn't be given 30 seconds extra per move to show how dodgy they were - he should gracefuly lose on time and allow me to write articles about how clever I was!

On a more serious note, as Hugh and others mention, if that's what they do internationally we should at least try it with some events to give our players a taste of how it works. I've never played with an increment and would feel like a fish out of water if I went abroad (to England for example ;P ) and had to deal with it.

Messages In This Thread